|| Chapter 1 ||

Chapter 1: Aurora

Another drink is shoved into my hand, but I shake my head. The boy who stands next to me has golden blonde hair styles in an arrogantly messy style. His whole attitude reeks of cockiness, and to be honest, I don't really like the smell. He's the Golden Boy, thinks he can get whatever he wants. But I have other ideas.

"I don't drink," I yell over the blasting music. Either the guy doesn't hear me or he ignores my statement, shoving the cup back into my hand.

"Loosen up, Red." The nickname isn't really that creative. I mean, I have bright red hair dyed the color of a crayon, so it doesn't really impress me that much.

"I don't drink," I try to explain to him. He's the type that doesn't get things if you don't agree.

He grins, pushing his body into mine. "What do you do?" He asks, trying and failing to be flirty.

I groan, rolling my eyes. "Not you. Get off of me, you jerk."

He shrugs, moving away from me. "Suit yourself, Red. You're missing out on great stuff."

I roll my eyes.

Of course he thinks he's hot shit.

I ignore him and his possy, who all glare at me, and start to shake my hips to the beat of the music that belongs more in a rave nightclub than a high school party. Dancing, I make my way through the sweaty crowd full of groping teenagers that don't know the difference between a make out session and sex.

My eyes are set on the fridge in the kitchen. I ignore the couple making out on the counter, and grab a Cherry Pepsi from the refrigerator before I open the back door and stand outside where the music instantly dulls to a small roar. At least now I can hear myself think.

Why I go to these things, I have no idea. I'm not looking for a hookup, I wouldn't call myself the most social person, and I'm not in the mood to get high or drunk. My father does enough of that.

You're here because of Mae.

I sigh, thinking of my best friend. She's an independent girl that hasn't got tolerance for anyone who gives her shit, yet her sister's boyfriend is able to push her around. He tells her to go to a party, she goes. He tells her to go serve a customer, she serves the customer.

Speaking of the devil...

"Rory!" A drunk Mae slurs my name as she stumbles towards me. Her hair is cropped short, cut at her shoulders. The top is a dark brown, while the bottom is a light bleach blonde. I remember how excited she was about her "ombré". Her eyes are covered in dark eyeshadow that make them look bigger and brighter. She's tall for her age, standing maybe a foot taller by me at least. "Yer missin' all the' 'citement!"

I catch her before she trips over her large heels. "Really? What happened?"

"Yer ex, the girl he was with puked all o'er 'im!" She laughs loudly in my ear, making me wince slightly. She waves her cup, spilling some beer on her white crop shirt that reveals most of her tan stomach, noticing that it is practically empty. "I need 'nother drink!"

I roll my eyes. "I don't think so. Let's get you home, girly."

She whines about this, trying to persuade me to stay, but I eventually drag her to my lousy rusted vehicle that barely passes as a truck. I slam the door after tossing her into the passenger seat, then get into my side.

After a few minutes of a silent ride, I speak up, "Have you been helping Dani and her boyfriend deal again?" I sniff the air and already know the answer. I can smell the drugs on her as clear as a cloudless night.