|| Chapter 2 ||

Chapter 2: Mae

I stumble in the house, slamming the door behind me. I drop my heels to the ground with a clunk. Loud music blares from my sister's room, and I groan in disgust.

She's probably up there making out with Jeremy. Or worse.

I let out a soft, low whistle and he comes running.

My most reliable friend, besides Rory, sprints up the stairs,his nails clicking on the deep brown hardwood floor.

The two and a half year old Rottweiler pants as he bounds up to me, jumping up on his hind legs to rest his paws in my hands. I hum some stupid song as we dance around the entryway, laughing. "Jericho, you always know how to make me smile." I whisper, kissing his wet dog nose.

The music upstairs suddenly stops and Jeremy and Dani come down the stairs, half dressed.

Jericho lets out a barely audible growl, his fur bristling.

"Well hey Mae." Jeremy laughs, creepily looking me over with an animal like hunger. "Got home from Jackson's party alright."

"Like you care." I sneer.

"Oh Mae. It wasn't that bad, was it? You look like you had a fun time." He steps closer to me pressing his body close to mine. Dani looks on with jealousy, to my disappointment. She doesn't even try to get him off. I can smell the drugs and body odor on him, and it makes me gag.

I snap my fingers just once and Jericho snarls, lunging at Jeremy with a snap of his jaws.

I've decided. Tonight is the night I tell him.

Jeremy jumps backward, eyes wide. "You'd best keep that dog under control, Miss Mae." He pulls out a pistol. "'Cause I've got one for him."

I sneer, marching upstairs. "Please. I hope you're not that stupid, Jeremy."

"What the hell are you talking about, bitch?" He spits, his eyes following me up the winding staircase. Jericho trots after me, still snarling. I turn to look down on him from the landing.

"Really? The neighbors hear the gunshot, what do they do? They call the police, you idiot. And then the police come and investigate and find your stash underneath Dani's mattress." I pause, musing at his disbelief. "That's right, I know where you keep it. Some fucking plan, asshole."

"You don't speak to me like that, you little bitch." His eyes darken.

"I can speak to you however you want. I'm not helping you anymore. I'm done." I practically growl, trying to hide the tremors in my voice.

He cocks his head, following me up the stairs. "What do you mean, you're done?"

I keep walking. "You know exactly what I mean, Jeremy."

"You don't get to be fucking done, Mae." His voice rises. He pushes back his greasy blonde hair. "We're a fucking team, Mae. We owe Patrick money. You don't get to just quit."

I reach the top of the stairs, making sure I am close enough to the bathroom. "I don't owe Patrick anything."

I inch closer to the bathroom, preparing for the rage that was about to come.

He's practically screaming now. "We're a team! You can't just fucking quit!" He barrels toward me, and squeezes my arm hard.

I wince, then shake it off.

I step back, slamming the door in his face and locking it. "I just did!" I screech.

He comes with full force at the door, slamming his body into it, screaming obscenities at me.

I lean against the wall and slide down it gasping for air. Tears prickle at the corners of my eyes.

Jericho tiptoes toward me and plops down beside me, resting his tan and black head on my lap.

"Your sister will fucking pay for this, you little bitch! She'll pay!" He mutters something, then I hear the sickening impact of his palm on her face, followed by her wail. "Hear that, Mae?" He teases. He knows this has worked before, but it won't work again.

Sometimes you have to play a role, even if the people you love hate you for it. There comes a point when you gotta take care of yourself first... Right?

I quickly stand and turn the shower on, trying to block out the noise.

My lack of response audibly angers Jeremy, and he returns to pounding on the door. "I'll kill you! I'll fucking kill you!"

"Jericho, watch." I command. Jericho takes his place in front of the weakening bathroom door, waiting intently.

I peel off my clothes and get in the shower washing the days makeup and smell off me. I desperately scrub at my skin with the fancy lavender soap Dad got in France. I wonder where he is now. Last time I heard he was in Japan, and Mom was in Phoenix. Always gone on business.

I remember the shame I felt today when Rory could smell the drugs on me, like I was one of them. This only makes me more upset and I double shampoo and condition my hair. When I turn off the shower, I lather myself in the strongest smelling lotion I own, then dress in the shorts and t shirt I left under the sink from the night before.

My head throbs. I never usually drink so much, but I did tonight, maybe so I could keep my nerve against Jeremy.

I then crawl to the door and peek under. Maybe I could sneak down and get some Aspirin.

To my dismay, he's still there,the shadow of his feet still there to prove it. "Can't hide forever, Mae." He whispers demonically.

I grudgingly pull out the blanket and pillow out from under the other sink.

It had become a routine, keeping pillows and blankets in the bathroom. It was the only room in the house with a lock, and the only room I felt remotely safe in when Jeremy was here. I dry out the bathtub and lay a few pillows down. I step inside and pat my legs, beckoning to Jericho.

He jumps into the bathtub with ease, and I lay down. He curls around me, resting his big head on my side.

I'm about to fall asleep when I hear Dani's soft sobs outside. "Please Mae. Please don't quit. You promised you'd help."

"You promised you'd take care of me when we convinced Mom and Dad to fire Rosita. Promises don't mean anything in this house."

She sniffles. "Mae, we're still a team, right?"

It takes every ounce of my strength to stand my ground. "Forget it, Dani." I whisper.

I lay back down on the pillows, and finally feel like I have a future.

Jericho's soft snores lull me to sleep, with only the sound of Dani and Jeremy arguing downstairs to counter their calming affect.