IV

MERLIN JOLTED AWAKE IN a panic. He leapt from his bed and quickly swung around in a circle, but he found nothing but the comforts of his own chamber. Realizing he was panting, he let out slow breaths and leaned forward with his hands resting on his bed. He felt the moisture under his fingertips from his dampened sheets, and he turned his attention to his clothes. They were coated in sweat.

He squinted as he skimmed through his memories of the events that took place yesterday. Not much happened. It was just an ordinary, boring day, but it was hazy. The oddest memory was how he easily went to sleep last night. Not once did he try to fight it—which wasn't in character for him these days. Blowing out another puff of air, he stood up straight. Nothing was making sense these days. Something was going on with him, and whatever it was, it scared him.

Shaking his head, he ignored the questions that raced through. Now wasn't the time. He hastily wiped the sweat from his body and put on his clothes. He didn't know how much he had slept in, but from how high the sun looked through his window, Arthur was going to kill him.

Racing down the stairs, Merlin dashed for the door.

"Merlin!" Gaius called, causing Merlin's boots to skid on the stone. He twisted his head around to find Gaius standing over a book at one of the tables in the chamber. "Where'd you put my Rosemary?"

Merlin furrowed his brow. "Rosemary?"

Gaius crossed his arms. "I sent you to fetch me some yesterday."

Merlin pursed his lips and looked to the floor as he tried recalling their conversation. "Are you sure?"

Gaius glared at him. "Crystal."

Merlin placed his hand on the handle and swung the door open. "I'll fetch it later today."

"Hold on there, young man!" his mentor called, raising his voice. Merlin froze. "Not before you let me look at that head wound, and I won't take no for an answer this time."

Once again, Merlin was confused. At the mention of the injury, his temple suddenly began to throb. He had forgotten all about it. He reached up and touched the sore spot only to swiftly withdraw his hand with a wince. It was then he remembered how clumsy he was yesterday during training and how he had given himself this injury. What he didn't understand was why he hadn't let Gaius look at it by now. He slowly turned back around, facing the inside of the chamber. "I told you no?"

Gaius huffed and uncrossed his arms. "You must've really hit your head hard." He pulled out a bench from under the table and pointed to it. "Sit."

"But Arthur—"

"Can wait," Gaius interrupted.

Merlin sighed, his shoulders sagging. He was, for sure, fired. He quickly made his way to Gaius and sat down, hoping the Physician would be quick for once. He watched as his father-figure poured two different vials into one bowl, placed a few herbs within the mixture, and stirred it with a wooden spoon. Seconds later, Gaius dipped a cloth in the water and patted it against the cut on Merlin's temple. Merlin cringed from the sting, but kept himself still. It took Gaius all of two minutes to dab his gash, soak a small square of gauze in the mixture, and tape it to his temple. The cut stung from the lingering gauze but he tried to ignore the pain. After all, it was nothing compared to what he had been through only weeks ago. "Are we good? Can I go now?" he asked, hurriedly.

Gaius nodded. "Yes, that should be good for now."

Merlin hopped from the bench and quickly dashed towards the door.

"Oh! And Merlin!"

Merlin reached the door and gripped the side. He couldn't suppress an eye-roll as he turned his head back around to face Gaius. The Physician stood there smiling, and Merlin couldn't help but feel angry that Gaius wasn't taking this seriously.