August 9th, 2022: Excerpt #1

[...I wanted so badly to reconcile, but I know that I can't now. They have taken too much. And it's not my passion or my inner child or my desire to do great things, those will never leave me. They haven't stolen my power either. They didn't even get to steal the connections I make with others because I got that back too.

So what did they steal? They stole what made it easy.

Like taking the little bits and gears of some great machine, that's what they took. And it made the whole process longer, made things more difficult, a horrible form of appeasement that benefited only them. They wanted to steal enough so that they could slip inside me and control me, and I would be none the wiser, to them vicariously living out their lives through me.

So maybe they didn't steal at all, but they poked a bunch of holes in me and made me naked. And there were the others that observed and watched or took their side, didn't think to patch me up, I had to do that by myself for a while. ...]

I remember writing this and thinking (as I often do in most of my writings), what is the point? What goal am I trying to accomplish here?

As a writer, the way in which I communicate with others is how I communicate with the different parts of myself. It can make me eloquent, but also a little obsessive. Great power does come with great responsibility!

What I had to learn here, and with my writing as well, is that sometimes it doesn't have to have a point. I think of my writing as simply telling a story, and some would argue that those terms can be synonymous, but it makes all the difference to me.

In school I learned that there are three purposes to writing: to persuade, to inform, or to entertain, also known by its acronym "PIE". But writing a story is a lot easier, a story only needs to have a beginning and an end. It is up to the reader to interpret and act accordingly. That being said, there are some things I would appreciate for my readers to take from my work, but this formula keeps things simple for me.

As I ramble to myself I wonder what is the point? It can be difficult to persuade, inform, or entertain myself as both the audience and the presenter; but, it's easier now to think I was just telling myself a story. One that I can read back to myself, and present to you all.