26. The Tell-Tale Heart

//

//

Ricky walked alongside Betty on the way to school, his eyes focused on her as she seemed out of it which he jumped to the conclusion that it was his fault.

He sighed, looking at her. "Hey, can I talk to you about last night?"

She finally looked at him. "Why? What about it?"

"I just...I want you to know I'm sorry if I did anything wrong last night...I thought we ended the night on a good note and you've been pretty quiet so maybe you felt we were moving too fast or...I don't know, maybe it wasn't enjoyable to you so I'm s-"

She stopped him, grabbing his arm quickly. "Oh, my God! No!" She shook her head, her hand caressing his cheek. "No, not at all. Last night was incredible."

He smiled. "That's really good to know."

"There was just a lot of drama when I got home."

They kept walking as he continued talking, "I'm guessing it's Chic related?"

She sighed. "It'll be fine. Just typical Cooper house lunacy."

"Well, it's gonna get worse before it gets better."

"I hope it gets better soon," she mumbled.

"It will and if it doesn't, you know you're always welcome to stay over," he replied walking into school with her.

****

Later on, the group sat in the student lounge as Veronica tried to convince Jughead to sit down and talk with Hiram about the trailer park.

"Veronica, are you trying to manage me right now?" Jughead remarked.

Define 'manage'," she replied.

"People are gonna lose their homes."

"Jughead, why don't you come over with your dad and sit down with my dad, and hash this out like civilized humans, face-to-face?"

"Jug, just agree. This is what's gonna have to come down to," Ricky replied with a sigh.

"Okay, one condition," Jughead agreed. "Your dad comes to Sunnyside Trailer Park. I want him to see the people that he's gonna be displacing."

"Fine. And trust me, no one is being displaced."

"Oh, my God, did you guys hear?" Kevin asked, walking in. "My dad's scanner's blowing up."

"Why? What else is there to traumatize the town?" Ricky mumbled.

"The police found another dead body this morning, there's blood everywhere."

"Could the Black Hood have risen from the grave?" Jughead remarked.

"Please don't put that in my head," Ricky mumbled.

"Did they say whose body?" Archie asked.

"Where did they find it?" Betty asked.