1. The River's Edge

//

//

"Our story is about a town, a small town, and the people who live in the town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer, though, and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale. And our story begins, I guess, with what the Blossom twins did this summer. On the Fourth of July, just after dawn, Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride. The next thing we know happened for sure is that Dilton Doiley, who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird watching expedition, came upon Cheryl by the river's edge. Riverdale Police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body, but never found it. So a week later, the Blossom family buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled an accident, as the story that Cheryl told made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and Jason reached down to get it, and accidentally tipped the boat, and panicked, and drowned. As for us, we were still talking about the 'July Fourth tragedy' on the last day of summer vacation, when a new mystery rolled into town."

Ricky Andrews sat at the dining table, fidgeting with his pencil as his friend from school scribbled an answer down on the paper.

"Okay," Moose Mason said softly. "What's next?"

Ricky groaned. "What's next is you go home and I enjoy my last day of summer not helping you out with math," he answered.

"Come on, Andrews. I only have three math problems left and then I'm done with summer school."

"It's not that hard," Ricky argued. "Can't you get Midge to help you?"

"She doesn't understand any better than I do. You're the genius here," Moose replied.

"Not a genius," Ricky mumbled before trying to show Moose how to the steps on the math problem.

Ricky Andrews. He was the smartest boy in his family. Skipping 5th grade to going to 6th grade, he was in classes that were ahead of his grade level, mostly in his older brother's classes. As of tomorrow, Ricky would be considered a sophomore even though most people around his age would be a freshman.

"Okay, check my answer," Moose answered to Ricky who had told him to practice the last problem on his own.

Ricky looked over his paper. "Your steps are right and your answer is almost right."

"Almost?" Moose questioned.

Ricky grabbed the pencil, circling his answer. "You need to round it down. The problem's talking about money. After the decimal, you wrote four numbers after it. When it comes to money, like, cents, you only have-"

"Two numbers," Moose answered, erasing his last two digits.

"Round it and you're done," Ricky answered.

Moose did so, getting the right answer. "Damn, Andrews. You're a genius."

Ricky's dad, Fred Andrews rounded the corner with a mug in his hands. "Well, he did skip a grade ahead and is taking honor's classes this year," he stated.