4

my eyes flickered open as I could faintly hear my name being called along with loud cries coming from Jacob. I couldn't move, I was in a world of pain that was running through my left arm. but I had to get out.

"Sarah.. y/n.., don't move stay right there" Joel looked at us in the back. "is Jacob ok?" he asked panicking. "I don't know... oh my gosh I don't know" I sobbed looking down at my boy who was crying uncontrollably. Joel got us out of the car as explosions continued around us. Sarah's ankle was badly hurt, she couldn't walk. I held Jacob to me with my right arm, fighting hard to ignore the pain I was in. "Tommy you okay?" he nodded.

"Sarah, honey are you okay?" she shook her head. come on y/n that was a stupid question to ask. "I've got her" Joel scooped her up in his arms. "quick, we've gotta get off the street" Joel guided us off the street but we looked back towards the truck in search of Tommy.

"Tommy?!" I yelled "Tommy!". he was trapped on the other side of the car unable to get to us. "head to the river, ill find a way" he said pointing in that direction. "get out of here joel! Go!".

"We can't just leave him!" I said to Joel. "he'll be fine".

we ran as fast as we could around corners and through alleyways as explosions continued to erupt around us. infected chased us to the river but instantly got shot by a soldier we were met with. "it's okay, it's okay, we're safe" I said out of breath as I held Jacob close to me. the soldier held the gun towards us pointing it at Joel. "DON'T MOVE!" the soldier yelled at us. "my daughter is hurt, her ankle. and my wife, please" Joel pleaded to the army soldier. "STOP RIGHT THERE" he pointed the gun at me as I moved a little closer to the guy. "WE'RE NOT SICK!" I cried.

"I've got 4 civilians by the river, 2 of em' injured" the soldier said into his radio "Ankle and arm" he said.

"what about Uncle Tommy?" Sarah asked Joel. "we're gonna get us somewhere safe first, Then we'll go back for him, okay?" he explained to her. i passed Jacob to Sarah as I needed to rest my arm for a point to regain some strength. Little did I know that would have been the worst thing i'd ever done.

"I'm sorry, repeat?" the soldier spoke into his radio. "yes sir" he pointed the gun at Joel.

"sir, no no no, WE'RE NOT SICK!" I started to scream at him. All of a sudden gunshots were made and Tommy appeared. I looked over and saw the soldier was shot dead and Joel, Sarah and Jacob roll down the small grassy hill, my eyes widened as a ran over to them all. Joel had a bullet graze on the side of his stomach but what I saw next was truly my worst nightmare.

Joel had stood up, we both glanced at each other in shock at what just happened before sprinting over to our children. There was blood. A lot of it.

"oh god" Joel gasped, "NO NO NO" I screamed as I saw Sarah and Jacob both wounded bleeding out. Jacob was silent, I knew he was gone but I just couldn't comprehend it, I was in denial. I held him in my arms crying and screaming at the thought that my baby was dead, he was dead.

Sarah was panting hysterically, screaming in pain as joel tried to pick her up. "you're okay. Please, you're okay. Move your hand, baby" He cradled her. She winced loudly in pain. "I know, baby, I know, I know, I know it hurts"

I looked at my husband and the beautiful young girl I called my daughter. " 'C'mon, baby girl, I gotta get you up." he cried to her. "TOMMY HELP US!" he yelled.

"no NO NOO" he screamed. She was gone, they were gone. Both of our children, our world, were gone. They were dead.

it felt silent like the world had stopped, it felt like I was dead, was I dead?

"Joel" I said quietly as I looked at him, tears falling from my cheeks, I ran into his arms holding us tightly all together, our family. for one last time. "what do we do Joel, what do we do?" I sobbed into the crook of his neck. "I don't know mama" he whispered. Mama, I wasn't Mama anymore, my blood went cold at the thought that motherhood was taken from me tonight, why?. This wasn't fair.