Combat performance

This is a combat one-shot when the students of Akarnae go back to the academy. 

*Vardaesia Spoiler for this sentence* 

Also, I'm pretending Brendan and Nick didn't die cause I love them so very much 😉

Okay the spoilers are over but that reminds me, if you haven't finished reading the Medoran Chronicles, I recommend you finish reading it but it is totally up to you. Just expect some spoilers :)

Alex couldn't breathe.

 She was covered in fresh scratches, bruises and welts. Oh, how she wished she could call Soraya to get her some laendra but she knew it was against the rules. 

Alex pushed aside the agony and aches in her body and looked up when she heard the crowd cheering.

She and the epsilon combat class were currently performing in front of the whole school, family members, student associates and Akarnae graduates. For some sick reason, Karter thought it would be fun to make the epsilon class - no, not any other classes- compete against each other in front of hundreds of people. 

And now she was currently facing her boyfriend who she was equally matched against. Alex knew he wouldn't say it out loud, but Karter knew the pair were both competent and skilled, therefore making him want to see them battle for himself. When Alex asked Kaiden about it before the battle he was quick to confirm it since he already checked, curious as she was. 

Alex was pulled from her thoughts when Kaiden swung at her, halting his sword in front of her windpipe saying, "Do you yield?"

Alex remained silent before meeting his gaze and saying, "No". 

Kaiden looked startled when she said that, so she used it to her advantage, swatting his sword from his hands and kicking out her leg, causing him to fall on his back. Alex was afraid her opponent would pull the same trick she did, so she stood above him, crouching slowly until she was straddling him, holding her sword to his throat. 

"Do you yield?" Alex asked, using his previous words against him. 

Kaiden gave her a proud smile and replied, "I yield."

The crowd roared in applause and Alex was about to release Kaiden but before she could, he gently moved the sword away from his neck and leaned up to give her a passionate kiss which prompted the crowd to cheer louder. 

When they pulled apart, Alex was as red as a tomato, refusing to meet the smug grins of her parents, small chuckles from the teachers and the amused looks of her friends, classmates and her Meyarin friends who all but invited themselves. She quickly got off her boyfriend lending him a hand. When he accepted it and rose to his feet she leaned in to whisper, "So not cool, Kaiden." But she wasn't angry. Not even the slightest. Although she was definitely embarrassed.

When he gave her a grin and nudged her to where Karter was standing in front of the audience she simply glared at him and walked towards her teacher. 

"Congratulations to Alexandra Jennings," Karter announced, causing the crowd to applaud again. 

Alex smiled weakly and looked around the crowd. She saw her parent's proud smiles, although their eyes were still filled with mirth, having witnessed her and Kaiden's kiss. She also saw her friends cheering for her which caused her embarrassment to fade and she felt nothing but grateful to have them. She turned to her Meyarin friends who grinned at her with respect and love evident in their features. She then turned to Jeera and Nisha, wearing amused, admiring and proud smiles. She continued looking around the stadium smiling. A smile that remained glued to her lips when she made her way to Kaiden, Brendan and Nick who were standing on the side of the stage. 

When she made it to her classmates Nick said, "Great show Queenie."

Alex grinned at the boys but it turned into a laugh when Brendan added, "For sure. I don't know what was better, the fight or the kiss." 

When they had all finished laughing Alex just shook her head and continued watching Declan and Sebastian fight.