Chapter 14 - Operation Nightfall

Obi-Wan Kenobi

For having no purpose left to fight for, the droids are still putting up a lot of resistance. I don't have much time for it, but I try to momentarily keep an eye on Caleb. He's... not handling it well. If anything, he seems to be in a daze, but he's still fighting, and that's what we need.

I climb onto the lizard, letting Caleb climb on behind me, before it takes off across the rocks for the next position with heavy fighting.

It's satisfying to be destroying what may be soon of the last of the Separatists droids. The war is over, and we won.

It's in that moment of distraction that I suddenly sense a surge of danger in the Force. I whip around, right as a cannon blast rings out – from one of our cannons?! It strikes the ground right next to the lizard, hurling us straight over the side of the cliff. I only have a split second to register that it was Cody who gave that order, before I'm scrambling to find a way to slow my fall.

I plunge straight into the water, slowing myself from going straight to the bottom with the Force. Caleb lands in the water right above me, and I think it's only that which keeps him from going all the way to the bottom, with how much in shock he is. I instantly scramble for my breathing mask, slipping it over my face, before swimming to the surface.

I turn to help Caleb out of the murky water, who struggles to catch his breath as he holds on to the side of the rocks. "What's happening?" he asks me, desperately.

"The clones turned on us. I don't know why," I reply, tone clipped, "We need to find a way off planet and contact the Council." This doesn't make any sense. The clones are loyal to us. Why would they ever do something like this?

We clamor up the steep rocky side, ducking behind something to stay hidden as the clones move close by. They're discussing looking for us. I don't know what changed, but suddenly, it's like they think we're enemies.

I don't have a way to fight them all off or try to demand answers, though. I need a way out of here. I want to anyway, though, because this doesn't make any sense. We've fought together since the beginning of the war. I cannot understand why they would do this, and I can't deny the anger pulsing through me.

I motion for Caleb, taking off again as cover the distance to Krell's ship.

None of the clones are right around here, so we run for the fighter, climbing inside. Krell's seat is big, so there's room for us both, even if we're... cramped. It would be uncomfortable in a situation where I actually have the time to care.

The best frequency to call right now would be the one the Jedi have planned to use in cases of extreme emergencies. This definitely defines as that. Now that I'm paying attention, everything in the Force feels wrong. Like death and darkness, and I don't know why. Why did my clones turn on me? How widespread is this betrayal? Was this something planned?

But when I call, Bail is the only one who answers. "Master Kenobi?" he asks, looking relieved.

Why are no Jedi answering?! What's happening? "Senator Organa," I reply, "My clone troops turned on me. I need help."

"We have just rescued Master Yoda. It appears this ambush has happened everywhere."

Everywhere? All across the galaxy? I don't have to ask to know that it's true. It explains the death in the Force so well, and...

"You don't have contact with anyone else?" Caleb asks, face pale.

"Not yet," Bail replies, "I even saw the clones marching on the Temple. There was nothing I could do."