Chapter 3

Xander

The little boy reminded me of Olive. They both had the same energy. I hoped that maybe he and Olive could be friends. 

“Did you guys go to the Cooke's house party?”

I started to make the dough while we talked. Well, while I talked. Every time I asked them a question they didn't respond. So I started to hum. I had just started kneading the dough when I heard a groan behind me. I glanced back at the little boy. 

"Are you alright?" I turned fully to face him. He started to wobble.

" I don't feel -" then he fell. The young woman suddenly rushed to him.

"Leo!" She felt his cheek and forehead. "He has a fever!" 

"We need to get him to a doctor." I stepped out from the counter.

"I need to get him to a doctor." She glared at me and started to pick the little boy, Leo, up and headed outside. I followed.

"It will be faster if I carry him."

"No" She snapped back at me. The walk was going to take twice as long if she didn't listen.

"Look, I just want to help. I can take him to the doctor much faster. Don't you think he needs that?" She hesitated and looked down at Leo. She then looked at me. Worry clouded her teal green eyes. She slowly nodded and handed him to me. The boy was surprisingly light for his age. Our pace became faster now towards Emmett's house. The young woman then ran up to the door and banged on it. Isaac answered the door and hesitated in front of the young lady

"Isaac, where’s your father?" Emmett then stepped to the door.

"Who's-" He then saw Leo. He gestured us Inside and we went towards his med room. I slowly laid him down and Emmett started to feel his face.

"He seems very unwell." The young lady stepped forward.

" He hasn't been eating anything lately." She started to comb her hair with her fingers. 

"Well miss…" Emmett started.

"Clover."

"Well, Miss Clover, I think I'm going to have him stay the night."

Panic flooded her expression and she opened her mouth a couple times but closed it. 

"The doctor can help him. It should only be one night." She stared daggers at me. I put my hands up in innocence. Her face then softened when looking back at Leo. She sighed and nodded.

"You can stay here if you'd like. We have a guest room." She started to nod but turned to the other young lady who followed us.

" I-I- She- I-" She fumbled with her words.

" I can take her home." I replied. Miss Clover glared daggers at me again.

"No." This woman was starting to get frustrating. I needed to have patience.

"You don't need to worry." She stood straighter.

"Of course I need to worry. I don't know who you are and you are saying you want to take my sister home! I think not!"

"Then what do you want to do? Either you go home with her or you stay here. Either way I'm helping. I can stay here with Leo-'' she flinched when I said his name. But I continued. "-or I can take your sister home so you can stay with him." She seemed to stumble on words again. She looked at Leo then at her sister then back at me.

"You better not do anything to my sister or I will find you and beat you with a stick." She growled every word then looked away from me. I blinked a couple times. Then decided to do what she asked. I gestured for Miss Clover to go outside when opening the door. She said nothing. As we walked she said nothing. Nothing about how she was worried or who she was. It became very awkward. I hated when it was awkward. I cleared my throat.

"I assume Leo is your brother. Unless your sister…" 

She then spoke very softly. "Leo is our brother." 

Victory! I got her to speak. I waited a few moments more. "Do you know why your brother isn't eating?" 

She nodded then spoke again. "He hasn't eaten a lot since father died." 

Oh. This family was in mourning. "I'm sorry for your loss." 

She just shrugged her solemn little shoulders and kept walking. 

This walk suddenly felt twice as long. I also disliked sad moments. I never knew what to say. I decided to just not push. I had to learn that the hard way. We eventually walked to a huge house. This family was an upper class family. The door opened and an older woman came running out. 

"What has happened! Did you find Mr. Clover?" I waited for Miss Clover to speak. She did not, so instead, I answered.

"Y-yes he was at my bakery and wanted some queen's cake and a raspberry tart and passed out. So we took him to the doctor's house and now Miss Clover is with him. Then she asked me to walk her sister home." The maid folded her arms not believing me.

"It's hard to explain." The old woman shook her head, sighing.

"Thank you." She then took Miss Clover's shoulder and guided her inside. This was going to get confusing if I had to talk to both of them. Maybe I should give them nicknames? Miss Clover with the reddish brown hair would be Miss C. And her sister would be Miss R. I smirked at my brilliant  nicknames. I then turned and started to go back to my bakery, but decided to go check on Miss C. When I arrived Emmett opened the door quietly. I stepped in and noticed her sleeping on one of the couches.

"She was worried sick. She tired herself out." I nodded. I understood that. It was always like a stab to my heart every time I thought about it, so set that aside.

"What of Leo?" The doctor didn't look worried, which was a comfort. 

"He's too thin so we are going to feed him a little bit at a time. I also gave him some powder to help." I nodded in understanding. Miss C stirred then went back to sleep. She didn't look like a monster when sleeping. It was almost a relief that she wasn't staring daggers at me anymore.