Chapter 5

Xander

I started to walk home, whistling. I had sold quite a lot of bread today, meaning I had to go get more ingredients. Which I successfully did. I was in a good mood. Running into Miss C was a moment of gray but I wouldn't let that stop me. 

Xander

I froze. I then slowly turned around. That voice… I had to be sure it wasn't a joke.

Xander

My heart began to race. I turned back around and started to walk. It became colder somehow. I shivered but walked faster. I was just imagining it.

Xander

I closed my eyes trying to shut it out.

Xander

I opened my eyes and ran. Ran away from everything. My leg shook as I ran. I looked for anywhere I could hide. Then I spotted Kayson and Emma's house. I need to get there.

Xander

I reached the door, panting and winded. I started knocking on the door and glanced back. A cold wind made me shiver again. The door started to open and I rushed in.

“What-Xander are you ok?” Kayson asked. I sank onto the couch. Kayson repeated again. “Xander what's wrong? You must have ran here and you're shivering.” I took a shaky breath.

“I-I'm hearing it again.” I managed to say rubbing my temples.

“Hearing what?” Kayson sat down next to me. Emma then walked in. 

“Xander? What's wrong?” Emma then slowly sat across from me on the other couch. 

“He says he hears it again?” Kayson answered. 

Xander

I shuddered and closed my eyes but decided to open my eyes again. 

“I-I'm hearing it again. T- The monster. I-I'm hearing it again."

Kayson and Emma seemed to pale.

"What?" Emma mumbled. Emma then painfully stood up. "I- I need to lie down." She left. I looked at Kayson in worry,  but he was staring at me.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't want-I didnt realize-" 

Kayson shook his head. "When did you hear it?" His tone made him seem panicked.

" I was walking home from the bakery, then it called my name. It started to get cold and I just…" I couldn't breathe anymore. What if the monster was still out there and not gone? 

Kayson stood and stared to pace. Then he stopped."Let's go check the library, Emma brought her books here after we married." 

I nodded and stood, following Kayson out the room. When we reached the library I had to hold back a groan. There was shelf after shelf after shelf full of books. Kayson kept walking towards the back and looked at a shelf muttering to himself. 

"What can I do?" I needed to move or do something to distract me. I didn't want to hear the monster. 

Kayson pulled out a large book and handed it to me. "Start reading." 

Hours seemed to pass and we had found nothing. I groaned and closed the book.

"Nothing," Kayson sighed behind me.

"Same. There has to be something." He looked at the shelf again. I was not in the mood to read more books. The door then opened and Emma walked in.

"You two look tired." 

I smirked. "I just read the longest book ever. Kayson stood there looking at books." Emma softly laughed. 

Kayson hit me upside the head with a book. "You barely read a page!" 

I whipped around to him, shocked. I dramatically stood. "I read more than a chapter!" Kayson smirked as well.

"Is that a challenge I hear?!" Kayson held the book like a sword. I tried as well but realized that my book was too big. So I grabbed the next thing on the table. A feather pen. I blinked a couple times then stood ready to stab.

Kayson walked forward ready to strike but I dodged and swiped his face. He gasped, dramatically falling.

"Tell Emma that I…love her." He then stuck out his tongue in a dead motion. Emma laughed fully now.

"Woops, I think feathers are his weakness."

Emma shook her head, still smiling." I guess I'll have to use it on him next time." 

Kasyon then sat up shocked."You wouldn't."

 Emma folded her arms. Kayson smiled then looked out the window. 

" I didn't realize it was dark." I looked out the window as well. It was pitched back outside. 

"You can stay the night if you'd like Xander." Emma said. 

I shook my head. "I can go home. It isn't far." Emma and Kayson glanced at each other. I shrugged and walked to the door. "I had the best evening, if you want a rematch you know where I'll be." Then I left. As I walked home, I became more cold as I got closer to my house. 

Xander

Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to stay with Kayson and Emma. I turned but stopped. They probably were already asleep. I took a shaking breath and continued to walk home. I tried thinking of happy moments. I tried to think of some bread, or little Olive twirling in circles. I finally reached home and went inside. What? Everything was warm inside. I closed my eyes to listen. No monster. I looked outside. And felt the coldness inside again. The monster must have been outside. I needed to find out. I knew the risks but I also didn't want the monster anymore. I stepped out and began to walk towards the coldness. The coldness seemed to last forever. Then I realized I was somewhere familiar. I shuddered when seeing the Clovers' home. I could feel the coldness pulling me in that direction. The monster was in there