Taking on a mission

So here I am. It's not a special place, just benches in front of a grocery store. This is where I first talked to Sudo and even paid for his food. Well, even then I made the right choice, which helped him get out of one situation and another with those sempai, because later it helped our class a lot. My classmate has become an indispensable asset among all the remaining thirty-seven students besides me.

Anyway, Sudo himself called me here right now for some reason. The last time this happened was during a trip to Hokkaido.

– Thanks for coming, Ayanokoji.

He dangled two cans of soda in front of his face and tossed one in my direction. I caught it and examined it. The jar is still cold, and after touching it, small droplets of water remain from the increase in temperature. Judging by the date, I could leave it in the fridge for a long time and drink it whenever I want.

– This is unusual for you, Sudo. When was the last time we saw each other like this?

– Dunno. Perhaps before the trip in December?

– Yes, probably.

– Just about that...

Sudo has already been through a lot in this school. He grew up from an ordinary bully and a brisk guy to a really hardworking man who fell in love with an inaccessible girl.

By the looks of it, is this what I'm here for?

But he's not the only one who's changed. Horikita, who was previously a cold queen, ready to kill everyone around with her mathematical compass, has become a surprisingly sensitive girl who cares about other people at least a little. Really amazing growth.

Although it is even more striking that they influenced each other in a similar way. Of course, Horikita's influence on Sudo is much greater than in the opposite direction, but still it doesn't change anything. Thinking about it, I realize that this is going to be a conversation in this regard.

– Anyway, you already know about Suzune, don't you?

– Yes, I saw it.

He himself called me to give him moral support at that time. I just watched and saw everything that happened. It was a worthy defeat that taught us all a lot. I wonder if this was the first time anyone had ever confessed romantic feelings to Horikita.

– Yeah, that's right. I've been feeling a little shitty ever since.

– I think it's okay.

Love is quite variable, and now that Sudo has been rejected, he is no longer as dependent on Horikita as before. Although, from now on, his growth continues solely thanks to himself, without relying on her. This is progress in one way or another. Sudo lost something valuable to himself, but at the same time gained experience that is also of high importance.

– Yeah... But that's not why I called you here.

Abruptly, he opened a can of soda in his hands and, as if with great thirst, drank quite a lot, immediately taking one big sip after another. I just stared at him, waiting for him to continue. Although it looks like he doesn't want to bring up the subject himself. At the same time, I was invited here for a small talk, so I can only wait to see what my classmate wants to tell me.

It is definitely clear that we will once again touch on the topic of love, which is so interesting to everyone at our age. Since Sudo started with this, then we should smoothly move on to a similar conversation, but with some other variables.

– So?

– Weeeell... Do you remember Onodera?

– Of course. Why?