Chapter 2 "Petrichor"

A few days after meeting Jake, he tells her that he is allowed to take her with him. She was packing her bags and paused to watch the rain pouring down the windows. That familiar smell of the earth after the rain filled her nose and she thought. She surrendered to them just like when a body relaxes in the sea and floats. She was really glad to be going with Jake, but she was worried about a hundred things. Each one started with what if. She offered to find a job nearby so that it wouldn't be a burden on him. She is literally willing to work in an auto repair shop to earn her living. She refused Jake's request to be with him in the dorm with the other pilots. She simply felt that she would be some kind of obstacle for him and that there would be ugly looks. So as soon as Jake got the request, she rented a small house inside the base. It was enough for her, and the same for Jake if something changes. The house had 2 rooms with bathrooms on the first floor and a kitchen with a living room on the ground floor. She was most impressed by the porch. The rain continued to fall relentlessly. The gusts were so strong that she thought they would break her windows. Lightning flashed in the distance, but that smell of earth was still there. On several occasions she wondered if she was wrong to go with Jake. But then again...she's alone here. There is no mother, no relatives, and she must meet her father. She packed suitcases with clothes, a few good novels, some photos of her with her mother and the box her mother had left her. She didn't want to leave those letters and her photos behind. Hazel also thought about the possibility of selling her house. This would allow her to start over and open up the possibility of accompanying Jake on missions. Her cell phone rings and she sees Jake's call.

-Hey. Did you have dinner? I'll bring you dinner. We leave early in the morning.- he said her.

-Hey. I didn't have dinner. I'm still packing. Do you want to sleep over?

-Of course. It will be easier to leave in the morning.

-Excellent. I'm waiting for you. - Hazel told him and ended the call.

She prepared a couch for him on the ground floor to sleep on. While she was putting the plates on the table, she was scared by the loud thunder. She jumped in place and laughed to herself. She heard a door bell and went to answer them. Jake was waiting outside with bags full of food. He was builded like Greek god but, dear God, how much he can eat. And he didn't get any weight.

-You puted plates. Let's eat then.- he said her.

-Sure. I'm just go to wash my hands.- she answered him and leave to bathroom. When she returned, she saw him reading his mother's letter. She stood there and just watched. She didn't have the strength to be angry. She knew that it was bothering her and that she had to admit to him what was happening.

-I'm sorry. I saw it so I was interested. So...do you know who your father is? - he answered her and apologized.

-She told me his name before she died. Only recently I opened the box with letters and pictures. I only know that he is a pilot and that she was in a relationship with him for a short time. After that, he goes on a mission, and she finds out that she is pregnant with me. She never told him and I don't think they really contacted each other about it. - she said while sitting on a chair with her head bowed and rubbing her palms.

- Ok. Do you need help? I can ask someone... - he tries to tell her, but is interrupted.

- And what will I tell him? Shake his hand and say "Daddy, I'm your daughter. Let's hang out and play with ball."? He probably won't even want to hear about me. - she told him angrily.

-Do not worry. Everything will be fine. If he doesn't accept you, I'm here. You are my best friend. If you're sad, maybe I'll buy you a puppy. - he said to her and winked at her. At that, Hazel just rolled her eyes and laughed. The best part is that Jake would do it. He would always be by her side and actually bought her a puppy. They had dinner and went to sleep. She in her room, and he on the couch. Hazel tossed and turned often in her sleep because she couldn't fall asleep. Morning dawned quickly and she heard Jake getting ready in the bathroom. He was trying to be quiet so as not to wake her up, but he dropped the bottle of shampoo.

-Damn it!- he swears under his breath in the hope that she is still sleeping.

- I think you dropped something. - she told him as she passed in front of the bathroom and continued to laugh.

- Will you help me lift it? - he asked her sarcastically.

- Only in your dreams, Jakey.- she answered him in laugh. The rain finally stopped, so after breakfast they set off. Journey's song Don't stop believing' was playing on the radio and Hazel raised her arms as if to dance. Jake just looked at her and laughed. He knew that this trip would be good and he wouldn't be bored with her. The hits on the radio kept coming and Hazel continued to dance in the passenger seat. He would only occasionally drum on the steering wheel in rhythm. After a few hours, they found themselves at the entrance to the base called Fighter town. That's it. A new adventure begins.