Chapter 10 "Beach time"

A few days after Hazel's drunkenness, she decides to visit Maverick in his trailer inside the hangar where he was repairing his plane. While waiting for him, she looked through his motorcycle collection. Each one was a great racer for the runway because there is no traffic and you can drive at the fastest speed. In the background was a metal cabinet and arranged pictures of a boy and an older picture of him smiling with someone she assumed was his colleague. She looked around with her hands in her pockets and was startled when she heard Maverick behind her.

- That boy is Rooster. I knew his father. He was my best friend.- he told her.

- So this is his father with you?

Maverick just nods and explains that Rooster's father was injured during an exercise when they were training together at TopGun. Rooster considered him the answer to his death.

- That's why he attacked me with the words that I'm your spy.

-I heard. I was with him as much as I could, but he is stubborn. He doesn't want to let me explain to him. - said Maverick and started towards the plane.

- I won't ask anything further about it. How did you meet my mom?

- She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. Ice fidgeted around her but was unsuccessful. He met his wife afterwards, and I was with your mom for a few months before the mission.

Hazel smiled at his words. Knowing that he was a little bit in love with her mom meant a lot to her.

- But, what's up with you and Hangman? Have you been together for a long time? The moment he got the message that you did something, he turned pale like a ghost. - he asked her without looking at her. Lucky for her because he would have seen how blushing she was.

- We have known each other since I was a child. We've been a couple since we've been here. He's nice to me, but he's a jerk to others.

-Iceman had the same behavior. Sometimes I think Hangman is his secret son.

- Don't tell Hangman. She will make up his mind like a high school girl.

They both laughed and Hazel got up to take a closer look at what Maverick was fixing.

- You know... I wanted to ask. Do you mind if I call you Maverick instead of dad? - she asked him shyly.

- Call me whatever you want. I won't make you call me dad. I'm old anyway, and I'd feel even older if you called me dad. - answered Maverick and made a sour face that made Hazel laugh.

She hung out with him all morning and he has a lecture in the afternoon. According to his orders, she had to be there and in the first row. They left together and he entered the classroom, and she followed him. Everyone was already seated inside, and Jake showed her the seat next to him. He had a toothpick in his mouth and was particularly arrogant and cocky today. On a couple of occasions she caught Rooster's angry glare directed at Jake. Maverick questioned them as to why they were dead. They made excuses and argued with him.

- It can't be true that only I know that Maverick flew with his old man. - Jake said provocatively.

- What did you say? - Rooster jumped up and started towards him. Maverick and the others had to separate them. Jake shakes off the hands that were holding him and says it's great and that he's calm. Hazel was shocked by his behavior.  She turned and quickly left the room. She did not want to witness the continuation of the situation. She heard running footsteps echoing down the corridor and felt a hand on her shoulder. She winced and turned to Phoenix.