Chapter 6

It was a beautiful day outside. The air was fresh, but not really. The fumes from the cars clogged up the freshness of the air and tampered with it's quality. Some people set off fireworks in the distance. The crackled of the fireworks rang in Y/n's ears. He slowly walked along the side of the bridge. Glancing over the bridge and at the incredible, shimmering water below. His hands scraped along the metal railing as his feet touched the sidewalk, one after the other. He took deep breaths. Just like old times, right? He continued to stroll along the bridge till he spotted a black haired boy standing on the railed with his arms out wide. His eyes widened. He knew what to boy was about to do. But should he stop him? Yes, he should. "Hey, Shoya!" Y/n called out. Shoya turned his head and freaked out, loosing his balance and toppling backwards onto the cement. Shoya's hands were on the ground as he pushed his body up. 

"Y/n? What're you doing here?" Y/n looked at him. "Going for a walk, that's all." 

- - -

"Do you hate me?" Shoya looked at Y/n. He shook his head. "Not really." Shoya's eyes widened. "W-Why?" Y/n looked down, then back up at Shoya. "I don't really care anymore. I haven't cared for a while. It's not like you bullied me." Y/n's face was empty. "Are you going to kill yourself?" Shoya's mouth hung open. He panicked. "T-That's not what I-I was doing!!" Y/n kept staring, showing absolutely no emotion. "You're a horrible liar, Shoya Ishida." 

- - - 

Y/n invited shoya to lunch. 

Sitting down in the food court of a small mall, Y/n faced Shoya Ishida, letting his weight rest in a red metal chair. "You wanna see a movie?" Y/n put his mouth on a straw and slowly drank from a plastic cup. "U-uh sure. W-What movie?" Shoya asked. "I dunno." Y/n kept slurping. He put his cup down. Shoya looked at him. His eyes gravitated towards the purple X covering Y/n's face. "What kind of movie do you like, Y/n?" The X peeled itself off of Y/n's face and slowly floated to the ground. Y/n put his hand up to his chin. "I'm not sure." Y/n tilted his head towards the floor. What a simple question, yet I can't answer it. Y/n though. Who am I? 

"I like that one." Y/n pointed to a random movie poster as the two of them stood outside the entrance to the theater. Shoya looked at him. "You sure?" Y/n had no idea what the movie was about, but he didn't really care. "Yeah." Y/n walked up to the ticket booth. Shoya scratched the back of his head. "I-I uh kinda don't have any money..." Y/n glanced over to Ishida. "It's fine. I'll pay." He reached his hand into his left pocket and pulled out a wallet. His fingers pulled it apart to find a couple dollars and a bunch of dust. He was tight on cash, but hopefully it was enough. He glulped and put his money on underneath the glass that separated him from the ticket salesman. It was Keisuke. Look down, Hirose blandly asked, "What can I do for you?". You could tell in by his voice that his current job wasn't that exciting. Shoya's eyes widened. "K-Keisuke?" Hirose looked up. "What the hell." 

- - -

Y/n and Shoya opened the double doors to reveal the big screen radiating its light onto their figures. Shoya opened up the folded chair and sat down. Y/n sat down next to him. Y/n's eyes gazed around at the darkened room, noticing that there were only 1 or 2 other people. Strange. 

It was a romcom. Not exactly the best kind of movie to watch with a new friend. Were they friends? What does it mean to be someone's friend? Y/n asked himself. However, that wasn't the only thing on his mind. Should I have said something to Keisuke? After all these years, was it possible for us to be friends again? Was it too late? Had I ruined it? His head buzzed with these thoughts, circling his mind and pulling him away from the movie in front of him. He lifted his head, his eyes reflecting the film. Crazy really, all the people that came together, all hours of hard work, just for it to be seen by almost nobody. In the end, were they still proud of what they created? Or were they disappointed in its failure?  

The end. Y/n stood up and Ishida trailed behind. The light from the outside world filled their eyes and temporarily clouded their vision. As everything came into focus, so did the voices and conversations happening around them. Y/n walked away and glanced over at Keisuke still standing in the ticket booth. Should I say something? Shoya spoke up."The movie was okay I guess. W-What did you think?" Y/n wasn't paying attention, he didn't even know what the motion picture was about. "I-I uh thought i-it was...uh...good?" 

 - - -

Y/n and Shoya stopped at the bridge and looked over. Y/n's eyes travelled to each fish. It must be so easy for them. I bet that they don't feel human emotion. I bet that they aren't fully aware. I don't want to be aware. I don't want to feel. I don't want to think. I don't want to be me. Y/n's thoughts were interrupted by Ishida. "Hey, Y/n, do you know where Shoko Nishimiya is?" Y/n turned his head. "Yeah, why?" Shoya looked down. "I need to talk to her." 

- - -

Y/n and Shoya walked through automatic double doors and entered a large building.

***Sign language interpretation group***

"Hey, shoya. I think I see her!" Y/n extended his finger out and pointed to a strawberry haired girl. Shoya looked over his shoulder. "Oh." Tears formed around Shoya's eyes. Damn it. Why am I crying? I can't face her like this! Shoya thought. That's when he lifted his feet and sprinted over to Nishimiya. His hand reached out and his fingers closed around the sleeve of her uniform. Shoko turned around. Shoya formed fists at his sides. How selfish. I came her in hope of an outcome convenient for me. I'm only doing this for myself. The words formed in Shoya's head. Nishimiya closed her eyes tight and pushed away from Shoya, running away from him. The tapping of her shoes down the steps filled the hallway. A drop of sweat formed on the side of his face, his eyes widened , and he ran after her. "Huh?! You don't remember me?! It's me, Ishida! We were in 6th grade together!" Their chase reached the bottom of the stairwell as Shoya tripped over and fell face first to the solid ground. Shoko turned around. She bent down and grabbed his hand. Shoya looked up at the girl. "Oh..." She yanked up him and he got to his feet. "Th...Thank you." She signed to him[Why]

-A/n's note- 

I'll use Italics for thoughts and parenthesis to tell whose they are EX: This is an example (A/n) 

I'll also use brackets for sign language from now on. 

-Back to the story- 

Does she mean...why am I here?  Shoya grabbed a hold of Shoko's notebook. He held it out for her to grab. "Do you remember this notebook? It was yours in..." Shoya gasped and put his hand over his mouth. "Oh, that's right." His hand moved from covering his mouth to resting on his chin while he thought. "Let's see..." [You forgot this] Shoko's mouth flew open. She stood in shock, like she had just been paralyzed. [Why do you know sign language?] Shoya looked at her, then his mouth opened his eyebrows slightly arched and his face blushed with embarrassment. [Because I learned it! So I could give you a piece of my mind! I went through hell because] He paused. [Because I couldn't hear your voice.] Shoko examined the notebook and flipped through the pages. Oh shit (Shoya). "D-Don't look at this thing!" He snatched the notebook from her hands. He held it on his side between his arm and his torso. He squinted and looked solemnly. [The truth is, I came here for myself. There's something that has been on my mind all these years...I always wondered how different things would have been if we hear each other's voices. I hate myself. I'm selfish, I have no empathy, and I've only survived this long by looking down on my classmates. I'm not a good person.] Shoya looked down and gritted his teeth with his eyebrows arched. [Looking back on it now, it's really frustrating!! The thing that pisses me off most is that I haven't changed one bit!!!] His face calmed down. [But now...I want to try and...understand it...understand...your voice. Nishimiya...can we be friends?

Oh shit! I was planning on apologizing and disappearing! Now, with Y/n stopping me from my first attempt, and  my stupid, selfish apology to Shoko, I can't do it! Fuck! Why did I have to bring 'Friends' into this!! (Shoya). Taken aback, Shoya began to freak out and get defensive. He signed as fast as he could. [I MEAN THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE SAYING BACK THEN, RIGHT?!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID SOMETHING SO EMBAAARRASSING WITH A STRAIGHT FACE!!!!!!] She grabbed his hand. 

- - -

"How'd it go?" Y/n asked. Shoya glanced. "Oh. Well...she told me to meet her at the bridge. I kinda messed up." Y/n looked at Ishida. "What did you do?" Shoya sighed. "Well...I asked her to be my friend."