Chapter 7: The Last Homely House

TA 2941
Rivendell

     Bilbo had to admit, he had learned far more in his few days out of the Shire than in his previous 50 years of life. Rivendell certainly taught him that. The valley looked, and quite truly felt, magical. He could feel it from a league away.

     The general warm light that suffused the valley had been brought into the house itself, graceful windows and arches spilling light across the floors. Elegant engravings twisted along the stone, forever resistant to the wear of time. Birds sang in the trees surrounding them, their songs winding with the soft voices of the elves.

     The elves were the strangest thing he had yet seen. Trolls and orcs and wargs had been legends in the Shire, their basic natures known to the hobbits. The elves, though they were known to exist, did not have any writings on their natures or history. He understood why when he met Lord Elrond and Lady Nyx.

     Elves did not show much emotion. There was extremely little to go off of besides a slight narrowing of the eyes or a twitch of an ear. They seemed cool and composed, their minds simply not moving at the rate of the others. Simply put, they knew time in a very different way than the other races of Middle Earth did.

     Following after the elves, he watched as the home passed by, the elegant architecture catching his eyes. Lindir led them into a dining room, open to the light of the world outside. Two tables had been set up, one larger one for the dwarves and another for Gandalf, Thorin and Elrond to sit at. Bilbo took his seat, glancing over as he saw some elves playing music softly.

As he took his seat, he had to admire the slightly more balanced meal. However, he knew that while he would appreciate it, many of the others would not. And sure enough, grumbles soon broke out from the dwarves who were evidently displeased with their food. Dwalin, seated to his left grumbled under his breath.

Kíli, ever the flirt, ignored the presence of Elrond and Gandalf, sending a wink to an elf playing nearby. The elf made no response, except for a slight expression of disgust tilting their lips. He turned back, meeting the confused gazes of his companions and shrugged.

"Can't say I fancy elf maids myself. Too thin. They're all high cheekbones and creamy skin. Not enough facial hair for me. Although that one there's not bad," he said, leaning in slightly as if sharing a secret.

Dwalin raised an eyebrow. "That's not an elf maid."

Sure enough, the elf turned, making it clear he was a man, not a maid. Bilbo rolled his eyes as the dwarves erupted into laughter. Some banged on the table as Kíli coughed awkwardly and picked at his food.

Elrond only sent a bemused glance his way before taking the swords Thorin and Gandalf had found in the troll hoard. Unable to hear their conversation, Bilbo returned his attention to the dwarves. Balin, still chuckling, turned to the young dwarf prince, "You do realize you are traveling with an elf maid?"

     Kíli went red much to the amusement of the others. Dwalin patted him on the pack, "Just be glad she didn't hear ya, though I don't think Nyx would mind much."

     Bilbo had to agree. Nyx had probably heard worse in her many years. However, the statement had him looking around the room. She wasn't there. He felt a slight concern prick his heart. She'd become a good friend to him and had risked her own life for the good of the company.

     He met Gandalf's eye and the wizard sent him a reassuring smile as if he knew what Bilbo was worrying about. It relieved him, to know his friend had simply elected not to join them, likely having something she had to take care of.