VⅠ

Nathan's POV

"We still have yet to properly introduce ourselves," his guards opened the massive doors to his dorm.

I was blinded by the brightness of his room. Three massive windows showed the beautiful gardens in the courtyard as his butlers tied the drapes. His room sparkled as the chandelier's glowing crystal lights reflected from the gold lining of his furniture. The couches were as soft as newborn skin yet as smooth as diamonds compressed by time. Bouquets of daises were in every vase, glistening as they bloomed. 

"Wow," was all I could say.

"Wow indeed. The silk drapes were just imported from my favorite village." His harsh voice softened, "They make every cloth with love."

"Do you visit the village?" I cautiously sat on one of the couches, worried my presence would stain it.

"Not anymore...Not since father-" He turned away, "-Call me Max. Maximus is what the help call me."

He leads me to a dimmer yet still sparkling room, a table full of fresh sweets and fruit waiting for us. I wait for him to sit, a trick my sponsor taught me when dining with a stranger. He said that omegas should always sit first in order to make sure they're comfortable, and then the alpha will sit. I looked at the pristine chair, knowing that I would sully it just by being too close.

 I looked at the pristine chair, knowing that I would sully it just by being too close

"You do not need my permission to sit," he sighed.

"Sorry-" I stammered as I almost knocked the chair over, "-I'm Nathan."

Why am I so clumsy?

"I suppose we should get to know each other." He nodded to one of his servants who then began cutting slices of cake. "We are to be mated after all."

Mated...

"About that- Thank you," I looked up at the startled servant as I accepted a cup of tea, "-Are you sure we're...fated. I mean, afterall, you're-"

"Heir to an agricultural and industrial empire," he casually sipped from his cup.

"Yes, and I'm-"

"From a negligent mother whom you lived with while prepubescent," he lowered his cup. "I took the time to...research you."

I choked on my tea at the mention of Mom. I couldn't help but wonder how she was doing. Most people would loathe their parent for selling them, but we were in a bad situation and in the end, at least she became happy. My last memory of Mom is her smiling, I hope she's still smiling today and until the end of her days.

I hope you're well and wealthy, Mom

"Sounds more like stalking than research."

"I would never stalk someone of your stature!" His face was as red as the berries on the white-frosted cake he was picking at, "I believe I asked for a strawberry compote! This is raspberry!"

"I'm sure you did your best, I'll eat the cake in his place." I smile up at the servant who looks like she's about to burst into tears.

Max's POV

He dares smile at her that way

I felt my blood boil as embarrassment cloaked over me, my immaturity getting the best of me. It was only cake yet I reacted like a child. Tears stung my eyes as I felt my pheromones spike. His presence was triggering my instincts, making me weak and whiny. I hid my eyes under my hair as I quietly sipped my earl gray tea.

"Something has upset you-"

"I do not know what you are talking about!" I jumped up from my seat, my tea spilling as I ran away.

It was just a smile! Why am I acting so foolish?!

I slammed my door closed and leapt onto my bed, kicking off my boots and burying my face into my pillow. Damn him! He was the one making me so emotional! I had been perfectly fine until I came to this dreadful school and met him. Never had I dealt with heats or episodes so intense until I went into that classroom. Never had I felt so enraged just because someone had spoken to someone I had interest in.

"Max-"

"GO AWAY! I HATE IT HERE!" I wailed like an infant.

I pulled my blankets over my head as his footsteps echoed in my ears. The mattress shifted slightly as I shivered, the sudden heat from his body radiating onto mine. I squeezed my eyes closed as the blanket slowly lifted.

"I know you don't want to talk to me right now," he whispered soothingly, "But we should at least make your nest today so you have one for moments like these."

"I DO NOT WANT A NEST!" I squirmed in his embrace despite desperately needing it.

"What do you want then?" His hands brushed my bangs away, gently wiping my tears.

I shivered from his soft touch, his scent calming my raging mind. I wanted nothing more than to bury myself into him as he cradled me so caringly.

"I..." No one had ever asked me what I wanted, they only ever told me what to do. "I want... something to eat."

"Alright then, lay down and rest, I'll bring something back."

Why am I listening to him...