Chapter 25

We walk through camp in silence and it's only until we reach the gates that she speaks up. "Where are we going?" she asks me curiously.

"It's a surprise," I say coyly. "Trust me."

A solider at the gate opens it up without question and offers me a torch which I take graciously. He opens the heavy gates and we walk through. Claire eyes me skeptically and I can't help but to laugh lightly. "You're going to like it," I say before adding, "I hope so anyways."

She smirks and gives a shrug. "Lead the way I suppose."

I take her by the hand, interlocking her fingers with my own and begin to lead her down the trodden road. "Is this okay?" I ask, giving her bony fingers a squeeze.

She nods. "I'll admit it makes me a little nervous but I like it," she says. An owl gives a hoot somewhere above us in the trees.

"Nervous, huh?" I say perplexed. "How come?" I've made women nervous before in the past, but that was usually due to my social stature. Claire could care less about my title.

Her small shoulders raise slightly as she searches for an answer. "Probably just the nun in me," she retorts lightly. "I'm still not used to physical contact."

I look over at her and adjust the rolled up blanket in my free hand. "I can let go if you'd prefer?"

She lets out a light laugh and pulls me in closer. "No it's okay. I haven't broken any of my vows by simply holding your hand."

"What exactly are your vows?" I ask, curiously.

She wets her lips before speaking and allows me to navigate us around a puddle of mud before answering. "We take a vow of chastity, poverty, and obedience. We can never know a man, be married, or have children. We can own no riches and the little money we do acquire we usually give to those that have less."

I give my head a nod, trying no to let my mind linger on the former vow she mentioned. "What about obedience? You have to do what anyone tells you?"

She purses her lips and gives her head a simple shake. "Not exactly. More so what God commands and what Father Anthony tells us, or whichever Father will lead us at our church."

"And what of a prince?" I ask, not quite comfortable with calling myself a king yet.

Claire laughs lightly, filling the night air with it's sweet sound. "Princes fall under that category yes. But I think if they met you and your brothers they might have to rewrite that rule to exclude you three," she teases and I join in her laughter.

We then walk in a comfortable silence for a few more minutes until she speaks up again. "Are you sure it's safe for us to be out here like this? Given Rory and all," she asks. The light from the torch casts a warm glow on her face and onto the pine trees around us.

"It is. The Bulgins won't be out here combing the woods tonight, there would be no purpose," I say trying to assure her. "They're probably doing the same as us being good little soldiers," I lie With the courtesans being there I'd bet my last coin that Lugos and his men are either enjoying their last night at camp and will be until the sun comes up.

Recognizing where we are, I then pull her behind me off of the road and begin to lead her into the forest.

"Where are we going?!" she whispers loudly, squeezing my bicep anxiously. "Aren't there animals out here that can hurt us? I noticed that you don't have a weapon."

I exhale amused and continue to pull her behind me, holding up a fall limb for her to walk under. "There's a spot I'm looking for that's around here. Just trust me."