Spite

A hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure, despite the overwhelming obstacles ahead. I am not a hero.

Link is a hero. But I can't admit it. Not to anyone but myself. They will think me weak. Link is strong and willing to take on any challenge. He is bold.

I, on the other hand, am the opposite. Cowardly. Prone to avoiding conflict. Afraid. Weak. I say that I tell myself these things to get stronger, but now, it seems I have grown feeble. A faulty bowstring. A flawed arrow feather. An inadequate quiver that breaks and crumbles to ash as soon as it is damaged even once.

I, Revali of the Rito, am defective. I lie. I cheat. I swindle. And only now, in the darkness of my downfall, can I admit that to myself.

My only strength stripped from me, and I become what I fear most- my real self.

I have let down the other Champions. I have failed. My SOS call is far too late. As I lay here, drenched in my drying blood, this malicious beast over top of me, I wonder... will this be what I am remembered as?

My legacy. What will become of my name? Will I go down as the finest Rito archer? Or will I be doomed to face the consequences of my own heritage?

My mother was a villain. Not one who fought a hero, but one who fought me. And who was I to fight back? There was no running from my mother, no flying away like I usually did. I suppose she taught me how to fight in times where I couldn't run. Sometimes I wish I could have ran, like Urbosa did, but then again, I was weak.

Urbosa... she's an inspiration. Or maybe "was" would be a more accurate term... but nevermind that. I should not lose hope. I must be the only defeated one of all us Champions. It's a shame really, that I won't be able to see Hyrule with Ganon vanquished... That I won't be able to see my... my... oh, I don't know. It's not like anybody is actually friends with me.

I put up a fake personality every day, just to contest my rivals. And if I have no rivals, I create some. Link was the only one who was truly my rival, but perhaps in foresight, that was one-sided. He was less concerned with me than with every other Champion... which does sting.

But whatever. I don't want to die thinking about him. That would be embarrassing... not really to anyone if I never told them, but more a blow to my pride. But there I go again. Thinking about myself. I'm so selfish. I hate it. I hate myself. Why won't I just die already? My wings are broken, my left leg has been totally exploded by that missile... and I think my appendix is burst...

Well, I should be going soon, so it doesn't really matter. Just... wait...

Come to think of it, I probably won't be remembered... no... definitely not... before I was Champion Revali, I was a nobody. I was irrelevant. I was just a guy who was good at archery- nothing else. A dumb stupid rich guy who could use a bow and arrow. Unemployed. Useless.

The title of "Champion" is the only thing respectable about me. Nothing else. Mipha is- was- a princess, and Daruk was a war general and Lord. Urbosa was the Chief of the Gerudo... and even Link had a job. Wow. I... suck.

People probably don't like me much, do they? Not even my own mother loved me, so why should anyone else? I'd see her sitting in her tail feathers after a long day, while I was doing archery practice, and I'd think: "Why isn't she doing anything? Lazy!". But then, I'd remember... she had a full day of work. I had done nothing all day. Compared to what she did for me... I never repaid her. No wonder she hates me. No wonder she hit me. No wonder I'm unloved. I am disgusting and useless.

I regret it. Nothing in specific, just it. Everything. Who I am, who I pretend to be... all of it. And now it's my time and there's nothing I can do to change it.

I can feel my life force fading now. In my thoughts, I am sending out a goodbye to nobody.

Maybe a song will save me from disappointing everyone...

I really don't want to go...

He breaks the rocks that serve to bind across the tempestuous bay...

On wings of feather, flesh, and bone, he lands but is knocked astray...

For the wind herself is against him now, and her currents would not cease...

And he could not withhold the urge to let loose the nasty beast...

The wind stumbled and faltered as he gained control, using every ounce of power...

And the master of wind sent it spiralling up, to create a lofty tower...

He rose above the roaring bay as he leashed and spurred the breeze...

But soon his power weakened and he found himself on his knees...

He would kneel before the wind itself to atone for all his blight...

And it took his breath and soul and mind and took upon his...

Took upon his...

Took... upon... his...

Spite.