one

one

warnings: violence (I think), missing leg, gore-ish

Hiccup had been gone for some years now, planning on how he was going to defeat the queen at the dragon's nest. He had decided to call it, the Red Death. Fitting, ain't it? Anyway, he finally came with a plan. After, you know, spying and studying said beast. He looked at his dragon, who rolled his eyes and did a scoff. He had settled down on an island a decent trip away from Berk, and spent his years there setting it up just how he'd like.

He set up his own home, which had a desk, a bed for him, a kitchen, a guest room, living space, and a 'bed' of sorts for Toothless. He also installed a dragon hangar, which was where he would let dragons rest upon rescuing them and leading them back, and also built a training arena where he and Toothless would practice. Hiccup also found allies in the north, so sometimes he'd go over there if it got boring practicing on dummies. And he had built extra houses in case people would stay with him. Unfortunately, that never seemed to work.

Today finally, he'd take care of the Red Death. "Okay bud, we got to lead it out of there." He said to his Night Fury friend, who crooned in response and flew in then shot at the cave entrance. They did a barrel roll into the sky and waited. First, the dragons flew out. Then, there was an enraged roar as Toothless shot again into the cave, and rock broke as something emerged.

"Alright, get her to flap those wings bud." He said, and the dragon rolled his eyes but began shooting at the dragon's wings. It let out a fearsome roar and opened them up, dust— no, rock fell off its wings. "Alright, up, bud. Up." They turned around and flew upwards, with the Red Death in hot pursuit. "Disappear." He said calmly, leaning down to his best friend as they then turned and vanished into the clouds. After a while, they started shouting blasts at the huge beast.

It responded by doing a fume of fire, and turning this way and that. The fire caught onto Toothless' tail. "Alright, timer is up. Let's do Plan B." Plan B is fly downwards, shoot in its mouth at the right moment, and hopefully not do anything catastrophic minus the explosion. But that tail... it's a liability. "Alright, let's go." They flew down, the Red Death not far behind. It opened its mouth, ready to fire.

"Hold Toothless, hold." He mumbled, then he could hear the gas slightly. "Now!" Hiccup yelled, and they turned around and shot into the mouth and quickly got out of the way, flying up. The tail no longer existent. Expect... the Red Death's tail wasn't so much a goner. It came up and whacked them, Hiccup flying off the saddle and down into the explosion below. Toothless roared weakly at his rider, and flapped his black wings to go after him into the fire in a dive.

...

There was a loud ringing in Hiccup's ears as he strained to sit up. He was in bed? Toothless was off to the side, while dragons nestled here and there. He was in a village, he knew that. Had they known enough to bring him to safety? But why? And this village.. why here? Until he recognized it as one of the allies he had made out here. He glanced down to see she had amputated his leg. Or, so he thought. "Ah, well, there goes that." He sighed and tried to get up.

A dragon lifted its head, seeing him about to tip over, jumped over in an instant to help him keep his balance. "Okay. Help me get to Toothless." The dragon cocked its head to the side. "Night Fury." He pointed at his best bud, and the dragon aided him in his walk. "Hey, bud." He mumbled, and the dragon lifted his head to see his rider and tackled him to the ground and began licking him.

"Yeah yeah, hey bud." A figure stood at the entry way, and a huddle of dragons came from somewhere and opened their mouths to fire. But they didn't. Just watched the husky figure. "I see you're well, Dragon Master. Mind telling your new pals to calm down?"

Hiccup rolled his eyes at the Viking. "Stop with the formalities, Frigg. And I am not a Dragon Master. I simply respect them, and they respect me in return." He scoffed. "What're they doing here?" He asked, gesturing to the dragons at his side that were staring down the Chieftess, and looked more than ready to fire.

"They kinda, showed up with you and have refused to leave. They've also refused to let anyone enter... you've certainly gained their loyalty. They brought you and Toothless here and have stuck to this area and not left. There's a whole lot more outside. It's like they're guarding you."

Hiccup glanced at Toothless. "Oh. Well, we kinda maybe, defeated, the Red Death. Their old uh, leader. Their alpha, probably." He shrugged. "So, I'm thinking they see us as their new Alpha. And are protecting us since we are like, vulnerable?"

Frigg nodded. "Makes sense. Well, call them off. I don't like that they're ready to strike. It terrifies me." She ordered. Hiccup turned to the dragon beside him, it looked like a changewing. "Stand down. They are friends." He emphasized it, and Toothless let out some sort of growl. The dragons let their guard down and flew back up to where they previously had been.

The changewing stuck by his side, and nudged him. "I'm okay pal." He nodded and the changewing left, leaving his Night Fury there with him. "Let's take them home." He smiled, and stood up, wiping the dust off his clothes and got on Toothless. His dragon let out a roar as they exited, and the hoard of dragons rose to the air as they did so, and followed the two back to their home.

Hiccup sighed and picked up charcoal and began writing. He then got hold of a Terrible Terror and attached it to a lead rope the neck. "Astrid Hofferson. And do it discreetly this time, Sharpshot."