Delusion

Hunter

I wake up the next morning and throw the sheets off my body. The sun shines through the window. My body pushes me out of bed to the window. "Summer," I mutter. I can't believe my own eyes. The day before, it was still the heart of winter.

Feeling strange, I step into the shower and walk right back to the window to see if it's still summer. I run my hand through my eyes to make them blink. "How can this be," I still talk to myself. My dog comes to me, and together we go downstairs to eat breakfast. When I take the milk out of the refrigerator I see on my calendar July. I need to go find a psychiatrist. I am starting to go crazy.

My phone rings and I look at the caller. "Where are you, we have to go before all the hot girls are gone." Hot girls? He's married? I'm clearly starting to go crazy. "Lucas you're married," I say in a voice that speaks in a disapproving to him. "No, I'm way too young to get married." Is he joking with me? With Lucas, you never know. "Lucas, stop it. I know you're married, I've been to your wedding." There is silence on the other end of the line. "Did you drink so much yesterday that you're delusional?" Lucas asks weirdly. "Drinking? Where did I drink yesterday?" Knowing that yesterday was a Monday and I never drink on a Monday." At the bar not far from our business. The one with the big bottle of beer on a plate." Lucas continues to fool me, or is he fooling me at all.

I can't get over how the weather changes in a day, and now I look at my phone and see it's a Saturday. "What time did we leave?" I ask him why trying to figure out how all this could have happened to me. "After two I think, after I fucked that red chick in the toilets and you with that blonde woman." Red chick, blonde woman? Oh, no, her again. What's going on now. When I put down the phone, saying I feel sick, I look at the calendar one more time. His words keep running through my head, about those girls and the wedding that never took place, but how?

I decide that day to go to the bar where it all began. Everything that has happened to me begins in that bar. The big bottle comes into my view what makes me move faster in anger, that I can no longer contain. A scent enters my nose, and it is like a just-picked flower. Which makes me look around, searching for the person with this amazing scent. Even though my memory recognizes the perfume from somewhere.

"Stupid," I mutter as I look at the sign above the bar: Cab 204. How could I miss that all the time before? I can't believe I never have read the sign. How could I have missed it every time. As I try to open the windowed door I feel it's locked. Another curse almost escapes my mouth when I suddenly feel a gaze on me. When I turn around, I don't see anyone, though this feeling continues to haunt me.
I look at the opening hours on the door and see that they open in an hour. Which means I have to do something else in the meantime, but what? It's too late to go to work and too early to stand here. All I can think of to do is go to the park. That's why I decided to find myself at the park to try to clear my head. So that I won't lose my temper there in an hour.

When I return to the bar an hour later it was already full of people. It's strange, very strange. A lot of strange things have been happening lately. My gaze lingers on the woman with the red hair. Who is talking to the man behind the bar. "Tell me the truth!" I shout as I slap my hand on the counter next to her. Everyone looks up for a moment and then goes about their business. "Calm down. What's going on?" She asks as she takes hold of my arm. Which causes some images to flash through my head.

Suddenly I look at myself sitting in the cab, smiling with happiness. Then it came to an image that played like a movie how I stepped out of the cab at my home with only the smell of fresh flowers in my nose. Before the taxi could go away I cast a last look and see her there. A beautiful woman with brown sleek hair and my heart knows she is the one.

"Where is she?" I say while ignoring her question. I grab her hand hard which made her balk. "I don't know what you're talking about?" Continues she denies my questions in a state of fear. Even though I can see deep in her eyes that she knows more than she would ever tell me. "I will find her myself." Those are the last words I say before I make my words come true. We must have met somewhere, right?

All this time together felt so real. The feeling of her beside me. The feeling of our past and the time we spent together. All those memories we made. I remember her, our time at school. I just don't remember why I let her go. Was this all a dream, were the days I had with her in the return trip a dream. Had we ever met before?

My head tries to think of my youth, of my childhood. I remember school, though I don't remember her. Yes, a glimpse, but never that I spoke to her.

I walk through New York with a goal of finding her. Finding her is all I can think about. But fate is not coming to pass today. I can't find her. I searched as much as I could.

The next day I went to work like every day. My stomach suddenly alerted me that afternoon that it was time to eat. Normally I eat in my office and continue working while. Not today, today I want to eat lunch. That is exactly what I do when I was a few blocks away from the company, to a place I remember from my dream.

The little bakery where I took Stephanie for lunch. Indeed, I had been here alone a few times, and now I am drawn inside where I take a bagel with cream cheese and order a large mug of coffee to go. Suddenly my nose catches a scent. Not that of freshly made bread or a cake.

No, the smell of a flower perfume that I have smelled all over town before. Then suddenly I see her. The beautiful woman with her cheekbones making her face stand out with her sleek hair in a bun, looking at the window waiting for something or someone. I look at her again and suddenly see a plate full of goodies and a large coffee in front of her. An image comes to mind of us, both of us in that exact spot with that plate in front of us. My feet automatically move toward her. We look at each other as I sit in front of her, and her smile makes my heart skip a beat. As if my heart was in hibernation and reawakened by her smile. This felt perfect, this felt the perfect moment for us. A moment that makes me realize that I am never going to let her go.