Reducing the Casualties

The next days

River

"I am relieved that you received my letter. Did someone come with you?", Raziela looked behind Cayden and saw that he was alone. She sighed deeply. She was right trusting the man. "I will say that I don't understand the meaning behind what you said last time. If you wanted to take your brother's place as the heir of the house, you might want to reconsider just being a candidate for being the next empress", the man removed his hood. 

I see. That's how it sounded. I don't mind being misunderstood but I just want Gaius to stay away from the battlefield. I am not very confident with my strength but a time will come when war will happen and his presence might still be needed. All I need is to disguise as him and-

"If you will remain preoccupied in the training you are asking, you already failed", Cayden threw a wooden sword that they used to train squires. 

After having the sword flown a couple of times, Raziela knelt on the grass. "This is more painful than expected", she looked at the blisters forming on her palm. "Ladies of the houses are holding fans and taking care of their hands not to be wounded. Here you are trying to measure up with what your brother has. I thought you were just clingy to your father and that both of you would compete with the affection and attention. Looking at how seriously you ask me to train you, it is more than just wanting to be praised. Could it be that you are doing this to snatch the prestige and honor away from him?", Cayden sat on a nearby rock. Raziela gulped and looked at him with a flustered face. 

I never wanted to take any of those from my brother. I would give up everything just for him to take his rightful place as the heir of the House of Kirstein. But when it was his time to inherit the house, he was killed on the battlefield. 

"I should not concern myself with what you want to imply. I just need to get my head on making myself strong", she picked up the wooden sword. She stood and felt dizzy. 

After some time, the lady woke up and felt arms carrying her

After some time, the lady woke up and felt arms carrying her. She was about to get up but such strong arms were too much assuring that she felt wanting to stay more. "You're weak", Cayden didn't hesitate to comment. "That was just the first day. I will do better tomorrow", the lady said with a face begging him not to give up on her. "Same time tomorrow. You will be having your tutor in the morning and training in the afternoon. A good fighter doesn't only in his strength but also with his knowledge", Cayden said without looking at the lady. 

House of Kirstein

Dining Hall

"You weren't at the library this afternoon. Where have you been?", Micah asked. "I was just-", Raziela covered her mouth. "Were you sneaking to visit the capital's town again? I told you to bring any knight with you. They're capable of guarding you", Zale reminded. 

I should have a perfect alibi for next time. 

"How is the training in the Imperial Capital, Gaius?", the lady turned to her brother who was silently eating. "I am still on the top of the food chain. What? Are you thinking that I am going to whine about being a loser?", he said with an arrogant tone. "I'm glad", the lady gave a wide smile and the lad looked away. "I'm done. I still have to do my studies", Gaius excused himself. "He might be really busy making it to being the Captain of the Imperial Knights", Raziela clasped her hands.