Ch 3, Part 3

Rantaro's POV

"..Kaede is lying."

I stopped in my tracks the moment she said that. Kaede lied? I don't believe that.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, come on, Rantaro! Just a few days ago, you said you weren't ready to trust anyone, and now all of a sudden you trust Kaede with big information like that?! Get a grip!"

"I trust her more than I trust you, that's for sure."

"T-That isn't even the point! I know that she is lying because she's the mastermind! There's no such thing as a killing game loop, why would she bring it up otherwise?!"

"And how do I know you're not the mastermind, Tsumugi? You could very well be lying too."

"Rantaro, why would I ever do something as messed up as this? I have no reason to!"

"Anybody could say that and still be the mastermind. I'm not convinced."

"Well, then that's exactly why you shouldn't trust Kaede either! I don't care if you don't trust me, but she's a danger! I'm just.. trying to look out for you, Rantaro." Tsumugi got closer to me as she said that.

"Sure, like you didn't say that Kirumi should've killed me or something like that under your breath the other day."

Tsumugi opened her mouth to say something back, but couldn't find the words. Instead she sighed and said something else.

"Look, Rantaro. I don't want to argue with you right now. I'm not in the mood. So.. I'll tell you a little secret of mine."

"Secret?"

"Yep! I'll just tell you this.. You were right. I am a liar. Worse than Kokichi, even."

Why was she dragging this on so much? Couldn't she just admit it? She was already suspicious enough..

"..Just tell me. I know what it is."

"Do you really?"

"Yes. You're the mastermind, Tsumugi. You've given me enough clues to figure it out. Admit it."

Tsumugi's lips curled into a smile. She let out a laugh.

"Wow, I'm surprised! You figured it out faster than the Ultimate Detective!"

"Mhm. You knew about my trust issues and you were trying to manipulate me just now, weren't you? I'm not as easy to break as you think, Tsumugi."

"Sure, sure.." Tsumugi went silent after that.

"What? You're not going to tell me to not tell anyone or I'll die or something like that?"

"Oh, no, no, tell people all you want. See if they believe you. They'll find out the truth eventually, so I don't care."

I was surprised at how easily she was giving up.

"Really?"

"Yep. Plus, my cover may be blown, but there's still a lot you don't know. That alone keeps me satisfied."

"So, the killing game loop.. Were you the one behind that, too?"

"Who knows? You'll find out the truth soon enough.. Anyway, I'm done with you. You can leave."

"No, I still need to-"

"Nope, no more questions! Like I said, you'll find out soon enough. You out of all people don't need to know, anyway. Not like you're my mortal enemy or anything!"

"Wait, what?"

"It's not important. Out you go!" Tsumugi said as she pushed me out of her room and shut the door, leaving me confused as hell.