14

Elizabeth

"Would you like to go out Violet? Since you've finally decided to stay here for awhile it'll be nice if we go and get some clothes for you. " I said as I entered the living room.

It was now the next day and Violet has been here for a day. She's currently wearing my clothes but mine are abit big on her since she's quite small and thin.

It'll be nice if we go to her house to get her clothes and other belongings if needed.

She thought for a moment then nodded.

Before we left she put her hood up hiding everything except her face. Reminding me of the last time she did that.

We left the house and she guided me to her apartment. We went up the stairs and Violet unlocked the door revealing the place she's been living in.

It was small but cozy, it was tidy as well which I kind of expected.

"You can sit on the bed. " Violet said and I sat down on the small bed.

She opened the closet and started to pack some clothes which wasn't alot.

What I noticed was that her kitchen was quite empty, I stood up and looked inside the cabinets.

There were 2 and one had some water while the other had a plate and a glass.

I looked through the drawers and one had utensils while the other was completely empty.

I looked inside the mini fridge and the only things inside were some milk and bread. "What have you been eating Violet? " I asked.

"Uhm, I had food but I ran out. " She said which I didn't know if I should believe but choose to.

"Mind if I look around? " I asked before looking through the rest of the house and I did so when she allowed me to.

I entered the bathroom and opened the cabinet located behind the mirror. Inside were painkillers and multiple bandeges with some old ointment.

I looked down and opened the drawer. It had some cream and pads.

I opened the one under it and frowned at the sight.

Everything sharp was in here.

There were scissors,a single knife, nail trimmers and other stuff.

I closed it right up when I heard Violet call for me.

"I'm ready. " she said as she zipped her backpack up.

I nodded and we left.

When we got home she sat down in the living room and I joined her.

"Violet... " I said in a quiet voice not wanting fo startle her.

She hummed.

"Why was your drawer like that... " I said.

"Drawer? "

"The one in the bathroom. "

She made a ah expression and  looked straight ahead.

"Thoughts... I had thoughts so I hid them there." She said.

I pulled her into a hug as if it was an instinct. "Lizzie? "

"Your a precious girl. " I said as I pulled away and she looked at me.

"I hope you know that.

It's been almost a week since Violet came and her birthday is getting closer and around this time of year my mom always tries to contact me making me lose my mind.

I haven't showed my discomfort to Violet but I have a hunch she noticed at least alittle bit.

Since I can't help but be out of it.

It was currently almost midnight and Im just watching the date waiting for it to  change.

When it finally did I smiled and tears started to fill my eyes.

I looked over at the single cupcake I brought up and put the candle on it.

I lit it and the fire made a beautiful yellow glow in the dark room.

I looked out the window and spoke. "Happy birthday my angel. " I said before I blew.

I always wonder how she would be like.

Is she happy?

Has she had the joys of her childhood?

Does she know she's adopted?

What does she look like?

I just...

I regret it.

I regret telling my mom I wanted to give her up while I was pregnant.

I regret alot of things.

But I'll forever regret the choice I made when it came to her.