Twelve

Everyone one was in a corner all their glaze on the window and nam-ra walks in front of it before leaning as she looks at the table in the room.
"I heard that in some countries, they mourn adults more than do with children and in others, children more than adults. Which do you think our country is?"

"what do you mean?"Dae-su asked after the room went in a few seconds of silence.

"When kids die, you lose hope but.. when adults die, you lose their wisdom. Hope and wisdom. Which do we value more?"
Joon-yeong says but dae-su still was confused.

Hae-won was sitting next to Wu-jin in front of the table watching the window waiting for two boys to come back.

Nam-ra turns around to look at the helicopters fly overhead the city. "They've been flying all over the place since yesterday. They would have already saved us if they really wanted to. But even if they do come to save us, we won't get out first. We're just not important enough for that"

the room went silent listening to her words." we're students. That's it."

💟

An hour went by and Nam-ra went back to her spot at the table. Hea-won was getting worried for both of her friends and her hands were picking her loose palm skin and she drift off thinking about her sick mother.

It's been only been Hea-won and her mother for years, Hea-won didn't know much about her father but that he died in war when she was just a year old and she never asked her mother about him because her mom will always end up in tears talking about him.

And two year ago Hea-won's mother was diagnosed with cancer and it has been really hard on her body making her sick so her mother has been in the hospital for a year making hea-won work for the medical bills and the apartment bills since they had no one else. Hea-won only told her two best friends about it.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Wu-jin shaking her shoulder. "You all right?" she holded eye contact but she didn't get answer because su-hyeok climbed in the window, Hea-won ran up to him as the rest followed. "Su-hyeok!"

"Hey, Bare-su"
"Are you okay?"
"where's the phone and Cheong-san?" On-jo look out the window for cheong-san but saw no one.

Hea-won saw Su-hyeok was frozen in his spot so she grabbed his cold hand in hers and he looks at her with wide eyes. "where is he, Su-hyeok?"

He looks at everyone after taking a deep breath. "We got separated in the teacher's office. I'm sure he'll be fine."

"Are you serious!?Oh shit?" Dea-su gave a little shout and looks out the window with Joon-yeong.  Su-hyeok looks down at Hea-won hand holding his own and gives her a little squeeze. "I'm sorry for coming back alone" He looks at her before everyone else.

"Hey, come on" Hea-won pull him to a seat as everyone went to sit and On-jo stay by the window, waiting .

"Are you not mad?" He asks as his head was down in shame as he try to pull his hand away but she pull back. "Of course not, Su-hyeok you thought he was behind you." She saw he was still doubting. "hey look at me"

She use her free hand to lift his head by his chin. "His going to okay, you know how stubborn he is. his alive i feel it" She holded eye contact with him as he felt his cheeks heat up, su-hyeok looks away as she let hand fell back to her lap but he kept his hold on her hand.

She heard whispering from hyo-ryung and  Ji-min about On-jo. "what should we do?" "her and cheong-san are really close" Hea-won look at them before looking at her best friend and she got up but Su-hyeok hand pull her back down.