chapter 14

DISCLAIMER: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling. This fiction is purely for my own enjoyment and yours. No money is being made by me or anyone else from this fiction.
.
.
.
.
.

When they arrived back at the Manor, Draco stumbled out of the fireplace with four weeping girls attached to either side of him. He didn't like weeping girls of any age, and was very quickly feeling awkward and nervous. The protectiveness he had felt for Hermione at the Ministry had slowly gone out of him and he was left wondering why he was holding her so tightly. Blast this dream world, he thought angrily. It's affecting my mind. I only defended Hermione because she's a Malfoy now, and no one messes with a Malfoy. He nodded, trying to convince himself it were true. But if that was the case, why did you comfort her on the stage? He growled in frustration and Hermione suddenly jerked in his arms, as though she had just realized what was happening.

She stepped away from him slowly, rocking Evanna in her arms as she did so. "S-sorry," she mumbled, blushing a little. With her free hand she reached up and wiped the tears from her face, smearing her already running mascara even more. Draco shrugged. It didn't matter. They were all feeling a little off tonight.

Draco turned away from Hermione and walked over to his mother. He held out his arms for Naomi, who was whimpering quietly in Narcissa's arms. "I'll take her, Mother," he said gently easing the little girl out of her arms. He eyed his mother's tear-streaked cheeks and frowned. "Are you alright, Mother?" In all his years, he could never once remember his mother crying. She had always remained cool, collected and above it all. Father never allowed it, he thought. To show emotion was to be weak and gave enemies weapons against them. And Malfoys aren't weak.

Narcissa nodded and collected herself. She gave Draco a small smile. "Yes dear. I'll be fine. You go ahead and put the girls to bed. Don't worry about me."

He frowned again, but Hermione spoke before he could say anything in reply. She sounded weary as she spoke. "Very well. Narcissa, why don't you go to the kitchen? I'll make us all some tea when we come back. I think we could all use it." He watched his mother give Hermione an odd look for a moment before nodding. Silly Gryffindor, Malfoys never eat in the kitchen and they don't make tea for themselves. That's what house elves are for.

He jumped as Hermione walked over to him and put her small hand in his and started leading them up the stairs. They passed the maid, Rilla, in the hallway, but Hermione waved her off. Draco felt oddly glad that she did. He enjoyed the way his little girl held on to him and dozed on his shoulder, completely trusting him. He didn't know anyone who treated him that way, and he found he quite liked it. Look at me, now I'm going soft like a Gryffindor, depending on trust. It's ridiculous.

He followed Hermione into the powder blue room, the ceiling now depicting a starry night. "Naomi's room is just through that door," Hermione said. "Do you think you could change her into some pajamas and put her to bed?" She dropped his hand and cradled Evanna like a baby before gently laying her on the bed. He blinked and nodded. Then he disappeared through doorway, flicking his wand as he went so that a soft glow filled the room. It was green, and like Evanna's room, the ceiling was bewitched to show the night sky. Bookshelves lined the walls, crammed full with colorful children's books. Draco shook his head. Just like her mother, I suppose. A know-it-all in the making. He smirked as he considered the dark green décor and her green and silver dress. A Slytherin know-it-all.

Mimicking Hermione, he cradled Naomi for a moment before gently laying her on her little four poster bed. She shifted and licked her lips, but didn't open her eyes. Draco almost hated to wake her up. He turned and started looking through her dresser drawers, searching for some suitable sleepwear. After some moments, he found a little blue night gown. "And here I was, expecting more green," he said quietly. He sat down on the bed beside her. "Naomi, sweetheart, wake up so Daddy and put your pajamas on," he said nudging the girl into a sitting position. He glanced around quickly, making sure Hermione wasn't listening. He felt rather foolish.