chapter 16

DISCLAIMER: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling. This fiction is purely for my own enjoyment and yours. No money is being made by me or anyone else from this fiction.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Hermione was blushing madly on Draco's arm. The giddiness she had woken up with now had her feeling a bit feverish. She clutched Draco's arm in hers tightly and allowed herself to lean on him. To her surprise, he didn't flinch away. This is nice, she thought, dreamily picturing the two of them walking the halls of Hogwarts together. Maybe she could arrange so they had to do their prefect rounds together. No one would have to know she wanted it that way...

When she realized Draco was taking her a different route than she had been using to get to the kitchen, she questioned him. "Where are we going, Draco?"

He gave her an odd look that clearly meant Hermione was missing something. "We're going to the dining room," he said, as though it were obvious. Hermione snorted inwardly. Duh, Hermione. Stop daydreaming and try to focus. Draco suddenly smirked, as though he'd read her mind. "You didn't think we would eat in the kitchen, did you?" Hermione carefully schooled her face not to show any emotion. Draco grinned. "You did! Hermione, this is Malfoy Manor. We eat in the dining room."

"It was a perfectly logical mistake," Hermione sniffed, causing Draco to grin wider. At least I can amuse him, she thought wryly. "We haven't eaten in the dining room once since I've been here, only in the kitchen. What would you
expect?"

"Not that," he said loftily. Hermione rolled her eyes. Of course not. He can probably count all the times he's had a meal in the kitchen on one hand! The dining room indeed.

"Prat," she said, poking him in the side. He jerked and made a sound that could have been a giggle. Hermione stared at him. "Are you ticklish, Draco?" He didn't answer. This time it was his face that was perfectly schooled to hide emotion. Hermione couldn't stop her grin. She poked him again. This time he made a definite yelp. "Ha! You are!" she cried gleefully. "I'm going to have fun with that!"

"I bet you will," Draco grumbled. Hermione just grinned. I am definitely testing that theory when we wake up, she thought. Her grin lasted all the way to the dining room, where it transformed into a wide smile as Naomi and Evanna came running to meet them. I'm really going to miss these girls. She peeked over at Draco, who was trying to hold back a smile as Evanna buried her blonde head into his knees. He bent down and swooped her up, giving her a peck on the cheek as he did so. He is so gentle with the girls. How is it I've never seen this side of Draco before now?

"Come now girls, let your mother and father sit down. Lunch is ready." Narcissa's voice floated over towards them, and Hermione looked up to see the elegant blonde woman enter on the opposite side of the dining room. She looked well rested, all traces of last night's distress gone. She was once again dressed in impeccably neat robes and a light smile graced her face as she looked at her granddaughters.

"Yes Nana," said Naomi, releasing Hermione and walking over to the table. Hermione followed close behind. Draco carried Evanna over as well and set her in a high chair beside Hermione. Then, before Hermione could pull out her chair, Draco rushed forward and did it for her, gesturing for her to sit down. Hermione made a small gasping noise. Will he ever stop surprising me? Draco's cheeks tinged pink and Hermione giggled. She have him a bright smile before sitting down. She liked this side of Draco.

"You two are looking peaked," Narcissa said suddenly, catching both their attention. Her face was drawn into a concerned frown. "Are you feeling unwell?"

"Oh, it's just a bit of morning sickness," Hermione said quickly. "It will pass." She frowned slightly. The wooziness from earlier hadn't gone away yet, but she figured it must be because she didn't eat much for breakfast. Or it could be the pregnancy. What do I know about pregnancy, anyway? She paused in her thoughts when she realized Narcissa had said the two of them looked peaked and took a quick glance at Draco. He looked paler than normal and his eyes seemed unnaturally bright.