1 • new beginning

Arguing, shouting, hitting

Arguing, shouting, hitting. Repeat.

It's all I've ever used too. All day, everyday, it's all the same.

But the last moment hit me just as hard as he did.

"Get out!" were the last words I heard my father say. My mother walked down the stairs with a small suitcase in her hand. For a few seconds I thought she was going to announce how she was leaving with me, but she wouldn't stand up for me, not against him anyways. She handed me the suitcase, not hesitating once.

My father turned and left the room, slamming the door behind him - I'm taking that as his goodbye. My mother pulled me into a hug, but my arms stayed glued to my sides unsure of how to react to this kind of affection from her. "Find Scarlett." That's all she said, I had no clue how to reply. I just kept it all in mind, not knowing if this was a good or a bad thing. I watched as my brother Dean walked down the stairs. I stepped away from the hug, my mothers soft brown eyes looking in mine before Dean broke that contact.

"You're really leaving now then, huh?" I tried to stop my eyes from watering, the past year my brother pushed himself away from me more and more. He went from fighting for me every day, to joining the other side of the fight. He was no longer my brother, he was just a clone of my dad that just took longer to come in than expected.

"Yeah..." I nodded, turning my head as I looked at him. "Don't have too much fun when I'm gone." I attempted a small joke, more for my half of the situation, more as if I don't laugh I'll cry kind of situation.

🪩

The rest of my time in that house is all a blur, I think that is for the best. I need to move on with my life, I've never been able to do anything and this is my opportunity to make the life I never had.

I walked through the streets trying to find a coffee shop that didn't look like I was going to drown in people. I needed to sit down and scroll through systems in an attempt to find where Scarlett lives. I pulled my phone out of my Jeans pocket and typed through google maps trying to see if there were any more cafes than the ones that are at maximum capacity. As I took a pause letting my suitcase balance beside me as I continued scrolling and searching. Until my phone got knocked out and my hand landed straight onto the floor, somehow I managed to save myself from completely toppling over.

The person who caused all of this spat out a quick "shit! Sorry!" in front of me. I looked up to him, some of his features were recognisable but I couldn't pinpoint how I could make any relation to him at all. I grew up homeschooled and the only people I ever communicated with were my parents, brother, and the Crimsons - for some reason they were the only people my father cared to speak with. And because he's "the man" of the house, we all had to stick to his rules.

"It's okay, it was probably me standing in the way. Don't worry about it." I said as he bent down and grabbed my phone and held it out to me, I slowly took my phone off of him. Not even checking for any damage I just shoved it back into my jeans pocket - that's an issue for later me.

"No it was completely my fault, I was rushing and wasn't paying attention to where I was going. Sorry." He adjusted his blazer as he spoke, turning and looking down the street somewhere. I took this as my chance to stare all I needed to to try and figure out how I recognised him, but nothing was ringing a bell, everything was empty.

"I'll let you take the blame for this one, it seems like you want it more than me." I forced a small laugh to follow on with the terrible joke I tried to make. He pushed his hand through his messy dark brown hair, he turned his face showing me his eyes that matched the colour of his hair. "Whilst someone is here I can ask, do you know where I can find a coffee shop that will have some space for me to do some...work on my laptop - well all I really want is a donut and a hot chocolate!" It's now becoming pretty evident how my social skills haven't been used for a while.

"The best hot chocolate has to be from Dolce Amore, it's just down the end of this street you can't miss it. It's one of the many things I'm good at... so, have you got any other plans for the day other than cafe hunting?"

"I'm trying to find a friend, well I've not spoken to her in years. But I'd say a reunion is in need, especially now." I shrugged as I looked at the groups of people walking past us. "She's just seeming pretty difficult to find right now."

"Do you have an address or something? A name, I can say i know a fair amount of people" He cocked his head to the side, his cockiness soon showing.

"The only thing i can actually remember about her is that she is called Scarlett Crimson." The second I finished with my sentence I watched him attempt to hide his disgust and act as if the name was nothing special to him but his reaction told me the exact opposite.

"Surprisingly I actually know her... it's a small world, apparently. Well not that it's any help but she lives in quite a big building. I can only recall her last house and that's no help to you at all" his words seemed as unsure as his answer did, he lost all interest and concentration from the conversation and shortly said "right, i'll let you go and adventure." before walking away.

Thank you for reading the first chapter! The characters have been around for a long time, and this is the second time I've started writing this book

Thank you for reading the first chapter! The characters have been around for a long time, and this is the second time I've started writing this book. And I've never been more happy with my writing, it still may not be the best, but I'm happy with what it is. And I cannot wait to see how these characters grow even more than they have already. 

- lyla xoxo

🪩