Chapter 5

On the other part of the sanctuary lies a cave where the dragons from the bars are recovering.

One of which is a dragon, with eyes as blue as the sky, white scales glowing like moonlight, and a body covered in scars and brand burns.

The said dragon walks out of the cave to see daylight in her new home.

After her experience behind bars, she developed trust issues with everything and everyone, even her kind.

She wanders the place in solitude as she sees the alpha still in deep slumber.

She also sees dragons with physical scars in a populated area where she spotted a gentle feminine Viking embracing a blind Hobblegrunt who turned yellow via happiness.

This dragon had an issue with flying once more due to being captured midair.

She soon noticed a remote cave close by and decided to rest there to watch the dragons roaming freely when she heard sounds of sorrow from the said cave.

Upon closer inspection, she notices a young feminine Viking weeping behind the wall she is sitting.

The dragon moves in carefully in stealth not trusting the maiden's supposed opinion about her.

However, as the maiden weeps, she doesn't see the dragon whenever she looks up, and that's when the dragon realized that the maiden is blind judging by the color of her eyes.

The dragon sits next to her but not too close to cause suspicion, and stares at her in curiosity.

"Why does it have to be this way, before I flee?"

The dragon tilts her head thinking about what the maiden was talking about.

"First, Mom perished from oleander poison, then, Uncle Finn was frozen in fear and was consumed by a Flightmare, next, Dad didn't come back from a voyage from the island, and now, I left home only to end up in the world of dragons, my enemy."

The dragon flinched as it was offensive.

"But, why didn't they kill me? I mean, I'm the last Hofferson alive, and I had no other family member to live with or go through. Still, I wonder why the dragons didn't kill the Haddocks."

Astrid sighs and leans on the wall.

"I wish... I wish I could see the world again. Stupid storm."

Soon, tears shed from her eyes.

The silence was brought into the presence before the dragon quietly left the cave not knowing what to do with Astrid after hearing the revelation.

Upon leaving the said place, she was soon encountered by Valka who is staring at her in concern.

The dragon sighs.

"I feel bad for her."

Said the dragon.

"Me too."

Valka replied.

The dragon thinks about the similarities between hers and Astrid's life.

Back when she was in an egg, her mother's curiosity about a fish that can blow out spikes led to her poisonous death, followed by this is her sister's death as she was dared to win underwater by other hatchlings and was never seen again, and her father perished over his obsession on protecting the world's deadliest dragons from extinction.

Life is hard, even when it's small.

By the time she left her home to explore the world, she ended up in an auction before being rescued by Viking refugees who grew up with dragons.

Scars were left in and out of her, and she doesn't know how to process them without them.

The dragon looks back at Astrid's cave.

"You know, she and I are in common. We lost our families and left our homes only to end up in a world full of cruelty."

Valka looks at the dragon once more before smiling.

"Maybe someday, once you both are recovered, bond and trust may set for the both of you."

The dragon looks down at the mother in concern.

"I don't know..."

"As I said, someday."

As Valka said, her dragon, Cloudjumper, approached them.

"Why don't you go back to your resting spot? Valka will send you some fish soon."

He said.

"I'll try."

The dragon replied before heading back toward her respective resting quarters.

Looking back at Astrid, she may hope about her trust in humans.