10.

The team looked attentively at Yunho as he shuffled through the house, gathering all the documents and maps he had compiled over the span of months he's been there

The team looked attentively at Yunho as he shuffled through the house, gathering all the documents and maps he had compiled over the span of months he's been there. It would be a lie if Seonghwa said he wasn't impressed, but he wasn't surprised either. Yunho had always had a knack for building connections everywhere he went, something Seonghwa envied. Not that he was anti-social, it was more because his conversation skills were of a toddler who had just started learning to speak; or a random cactus on the sidewalk. Moral of the story: it was terrible. He picked up one of the documents lying on the table, reading the bold heading printed on it with dark red ink- "Guest List for Royal Masquerade Ball". His eyes wandered down further, landing on a familiar name on the list.

'You're invited.' he passed the paper to Pearl, showing her exactly where the name was on the paper. The princess nodded, pulling out the invitation they received a few days before Seonghwa had arrived.

'Don't tell me you're planning on sneaking in during the ball!' Wooyoung jumped up, looking at the blond, exasperated.

'Who said we're sneaking in?' Yunho looked back at the bodyguard, a goofy grin slapped across his face. His eyes glinted with mischief, the golden specks among the dark, warm brown reflecting the light from the lamp. Seonghwa had painfully learnt from personal experience that this was never a good sign. The last time it happened, the two of them ended up hanging upside down after getting stuck in a hunting net. He wanted to sneak out from one of the alleys after collecting the documents for a mission, but Yunho had other plans. Luckily, they got out of there alive. Yet, despite knowing what risks that seemingly innocent expression of his comrade and childhood friend held, Seonghwa could never say no. Not with how persuasive the man could be. So with not much choice in his hand, he did what he could.

'So, how do you plan on getting in?' Seonghwa asked, making Yunho jump back to motion.

'As you can see, they invited Pearl and Mingi to the event.' The blond pointed at the paper. The four looked at the paper and then back at Yunho as they collectively nodded their heads, urging him to continue. 'It says they could bring a plus one besides their guards.' Mingi picked up the invitation, searching for the exact place where it was written and there it was, "Plus one besides guards" written clearly under all the useless information and instructions although in finer print. As if Ember didn't actually want anyone other than those invited to come, but still did it out of courtesy. If Mingi was being honest, that might truly be the reason behind the small, almost unnoticeable print. Ember wasn't known to be a people person. He was more reserved and only liked interacting with people important to his job or assigned task. Mingi looked up from the paper back to his friends to confirm what the Nashiran had said.

'So you're coming with us as our plus ones?' His eyes darted back to Yunho, who was already looking at him, nodding his head in affirmation. 'Only if you don't already have someone you plan to bring along.' He wiggled his eyebrows, smirking at his flustered face and then continued on with his plan. 'Once we're in, we'll need someone to distract Ember long enough for us to sneak around, take the papers, and escape.'

'I'll do that.' Pearl raised her hand from her seat.

'No, you aren't.' Seonghwa pulled the princess' hand back down. 'You're the one who's in the most danger here. I'm not leaving you alone with that psychotic maniac.'

'Trust me, I can handle myself!' Pearl pushed. 'Besides, who else but me? I'm the perfect person for this job.'

'Wooyoung, help me out here.' Seonghwa turned to his one true friend, the only one he knew would be against this; hands pinching the bridge between his eyebrows.

'Well, I stand with Pearl here. She's the perfect candidate.' Seonghwa groaned, rolling his eyes at the betrayer.

'No, you don't understand! If she got caught, he could kill her.' he turned to Pearl, addressing her directly, face contorted in a deeper-than-usual frown. 'Or worse, throw you down one of his dungeons where god knows what he'd do to you.'

'That's a risk I'm willing to take.' Of course, Pearl was aware. She was painfully aware of what could possibly happen if she got caught. The news of ministers and rebels going missing has not failed to reach her ears. Certainly, they came to know too much, saw something they shouldn't, or conspired against Ember like she was right now.

'But I am not,' She heard Seonghwa say whose face was failing to suppress the signs of worried anger. What was this? The spy with the emotional spectrum of an empty water bottle showed worry for Pearl. It was an honour, to say the least. And maybe, just maybe, there was a little spark of hope for our dear brown-haired walking disaster. She stared at Seonghwa's freckled face. The approaching summer heat has made them show up even more, and the flush of colour on his cheeks and nose has darkened. Her eyes travelled further up, chuckling at the contorted eyebrows which were almost touching by now. It was truly a wonder how deep that frown could go. But besides that, Seonghwa's face had started to tick out of annoyance. Pearl thought it was very hot. But she would never say it out loud. Not in this situation, at least.

'Why?' She opted to question the spy, secretly hoping he would confess his undying love for her so they would run away and live in a forest.

'Because you're the one who hired us! If you got hurt, imagine how that would look on my record!' And there goes her hopes and dreams.

'So what else do you suggest?' Mingi stepped in, reading the dejected look of his cousin. Silence followed the question while the four looked at Seonghwa in anticipation.

'I'll figure something out,' he muttered, walking out of the house and shutting the door after him.

Ayo reading it back, this is pretty cringe 😭

Back then when I was writing it, I didn't realize how cringe it is. I was just like "Oh my fucking GOD red hair Seonghwa BARK BARK BARK." 

*sighs*

ANYWAYS! FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A COMMENT, DON'T FOREGT TO LIKE, SHARE, SUBSCRI-*get hit by a pan*