Chapter 1

"Michael, surely you don't believe her story of a witch being after her, right?" KITT asks, as soon as Michael returns outside to him and gets into the driver's seat after talking with the young woman they've been tasked to help. "I mean, a witch? Honestly, that young woman surely must be mistaken."

Michael sighs, shaking his head. "No, not really." He says. "I do however believe her when she said someone is after her though."

This is already beginning to be a rather interesting case. It's not really like one of their usuals either.

A young woman had called the Foundation saying that she needed their help and that someone was after her. It wasn't until he and KITT had turned up that she had explained more about the situation. And that it's a witch that's after her.

Now Michael believes her when she says that there's someone after her, doesn't think that she'd be so terrified if there wasn't. But that someone she believes is after her being a witch? Much like KITT, Michael doesn't believe that. Thinks that perhaps whoever is after her is just messing with her to make her think that whoever it is, is a witch.

Seems a little illogical, maybe, but Michael can't think of any other reason for her to believe that it's a witch. Except for her maybe having some... issues. However he doesn't want to assume things, and the woman seemed perfectly sane while he was talking to her, if not terrified. Though all the crystals and supposed witch paraphernalia around her house was a little iffy.

"Yes, I do too." KITT agrees. "But I don't believe it's a witch that's after her. From what I've gathered about witches from my searching, they appear to be nothing but make believe. A children's tale."

Michael nods. What KITT is saying regarding witches is true. They're nothing but a children's tale. Completely make believe. However, the young woman that they've been tasked to protect and help seems to think otherwise. And she herself seems to be a witch herself, from what she's said, and judging by the paraphernalia in her house.

Yeah... Michael isn't too sure about all of this. Sure, he believes her when she says that there's someone after her, but certainly not that it's a witch after her.

"Find me all you can on Laura Burns." Michael says.

Perhaps if they can fund more information on the woman they're supposed to help, it might be of some use in helping them to figure out who could possibly be after her and why. Although, Michael isn't sure what they could possibly find that could help then. Maybe if they had a name of the person who could possibly be after her then they'd have some idea of where to start. But unfortunately Laura hasn't gotten a name, nor does she have a description of whoever is after her, except an older woman with dark hair. Which doesn't really narrow anything down....

"Of course." KITT says. "Though, Michael, I..." He trails off, sounding strangely unsure of himself. "I feel... a little strange."

Michael frowns at KITT's words and tone of voice. "What do you mean?"

That's not... normal. KITT doesn't often sound unsure of himself, or feel strange. And he's absolutely certain that there's nothing wrong with him. Nothing's broken in his circuitry. KITT would've mentioned it already. Would've already diagnosed that there's something amiss with his systems.

"I don't... I don't know...." KITT trails off. "I'm trying to self-diagnose, but all my systems seem to be working as they should." He says. "Maybe we should call Bonnie. Have her meet us at the semi."

That's what Michael is thinking too. If KITT can't figure out why he's feeling strange, then perhaps Bonnie will have better luck. Although, there really shouldn't be anything at fault with KITT's systems. Bonnie had checked him over before they went out on the road, and it's really not common at all for him to develop any issues just like that.