Chapter 3: Fauna

I was collecting some moss for my bed in my den when I picked up a noise.

My ears swiveled toward the source, and I looked to see where it was coming from. I put down the moss I had gathered so far, making a mental note of where I put it.

I wanted to call out so badly, because as silly as it may seem, it sounded like a conversation. But I learned from my years in this forest that the creatures with the Elacto Plague could be anywhere, and were just waiting for some poor animal to give away their position...

I cautiously made my way toward the voices, looking and listening for any danger, the soft greenery bending to my will to cushion any sound made by my hooves.

As I arrived at a dug out den, the quiet talk slowly died away, and a shuffling sounded from inside.

Suddenly, a pure white pterolycus leapt out and stared right at me, but I held my ground. He wasn't infected, his eyes weren't clouded over or red from lack of sleep, and his coat was well kept.

"Who-" he started, but Arakkoa cut him off as he too stepped out of the den.

"Oh, Fauna!" Arakkoa said, stretching, "Long time no see. This big idiot is Fang."

The white winged wolf snarled, and I was ready to step in, the ferns in the area curling up with my tension.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?" asked Arakkoa teasingly, "And Fauna, relax, what's he gonna do? I did save his life."

Suddenly Fang looked embarrassed.

"Well, if you're so into going on a quest to find some cure, where's your great idea on where it is?" he snapped.

"You- You're going to try and find the cure?" I asked. This was amazing. We were just nobodies yesterday, and now we might have a chance to do this broken island some real good. Maybe even become legends! But of course, it's not about the fame. It's the deed that counts.

"Well... I guess," Arakkoa replied, "Any idea where a magical healing cure of some sort is?"

"If it's a type of plant... well, I am a Nature Mage!" I said cheerfully.

Suddenly, I felt an odd sensation. It felt like something was pulling me, urging me in a certain direction, but very faintly. Like someone whispering in my ear, but I couldn't quite hear it, and it made me want to follow that voice, wherever it may lead.

"Anything wrong?" questioned Arakkoa, looking concerned, "You kind started staring into space there."

The sensation stopped as soon as it had started.

"Well... this is going to sound a bit weird..." I began.