Chapter 12: Into Ashes

Night had come with the full moon high in the sky and stars everywhere, creating a beautiful reflection on the ocean below, beside you Toothless was flying with Hiccup on him, his expression unable to be read due to the darkness. You were pretty tired as it had been 5 hours of continuous flying and you could tell that both Toothless and Storm could use some rest.

You were about to ask Hiccup how much time was remaining when he pointed to an relatively large island up ahead and said "There it is, we can spend the night there and leave next morning hopefully with a solution to our problem". You said "finally, I have never been on such a long flight, are you sure they'll help us?" To this Hiccup said "Mala is a good friend and an ally of ours, I'm confident she will help." You said "Okay I trust you, let's go".

You flew closer to the Island expecting to see the statue of their great protector high above a village which would be covered in brightness by torches and maybe even dragin fire but what you saw was even more sinister.

The whole village was aflame, the statue of the great protector was broken into 2 pieces and on the ground, there were people everywhere with water buckets rushing to put out the fires. You were shocked to see the damage, the Defenders of the Wing were a neutral people, who would attack them in such a way? To your right Hiccup said "What happened here?" You replied "It looks like a village raid, but more severe than usual..." You broke off because as soon as you got close you could see dead and injured people and even some dead dragons, some dragons were the inhabitants of the island but there were some species that didn't live there, mainly whispering Deaths and Singetails. You said "Who would attack the Defenders of the Wing and who could control these dragons?" Hiccup just shook his head and said "I don't know, Viggo maybe? Let's find Mala and find out, come on". He dived towards the center of the village, Toothless growling in disgust at all the bloodshed, Storm was also growling in rage and fear and almost didn't listen to you. But you managed to follow Hiccup to the ground.

You landed and dismounted only to see you, Hiccup and your dragons surrounded by warriors in black cloth armour pointing bows notched with arrows at you. You said "Uh Hiccup I thought they knew you?". Hiccup said loudly "Is Mala here? I am Hiccup Haddock, a friend of your queen". At hearing his name the warriors lowered their weapons and you even saw some sigh in relief.

Suddenly you heard a voice "Hiccup, oh thank the Ancients you're here". As a tall woman in black armour came forth from the soldiers, she was taller than Hiccup and you and had auburn hair and green eyes. She had a long single edged blade at her side and she looked like she could deal a lot of damage with it.She approached Hiccup and said "Thank the ancients you came, we have been attacked during the night by masked demons riding dragons". Hiccup said "Woah there, good to see you too Mala but what's this about demons on Dragons? Could you start from the start please?".

Mala took a deep breath and explained "it was a normal night when I was about to go to bed, Throk was doing his nightly round of the village. Suddenly a flaming boulder hit the village and shouts erupted as we saw at least 30 ships in our harbour firing upon us. We started to return fire with the dragons of our island helping and we almost pushed them back, than they came. At least 35 dragons rose from the ships and attacked us, there were several men on the dragons who jumped off and started to fight us, I thought at first that the dragons would run off after the people had jumped off but they continued to defend the invaders, we managed to get a good look at one of them and it was like someone was mind controlling them, they had no emotions in their eyes, just blank faces. They also fought ferociously not caring whether they would die or survive. The battle lasted 3 hours after which they looted and burned everything, they managed to capture the Great Protector and Throk, while trying to save him, was also captured."

You stood in silence for a few moments trying to process the information, you already knew who was the cause of this attack, the mystery man, only he could control dragons like that, but why attack the Defenders of the Wing? By looking at Hiccup you could tell he had the same questions and the same conclusion. He said to Mala "Don't worry, we'll save Throk and the Eruptodon as well as take revenge". "Thank you Hiccup, I knew I couldn't count on you, and who are you?" Mala said directing the last part at you. You straightened yourself and said "I am Axel Cederburg, the newest member of the dragon riders, pleasure to meet you". Mala replied "I am queen Mala of the Defenders of the Wing, the pleasure is all mine". Obviously you already knew who Mala and Throk were. They had met Hiccup in the season 4 beginning and had become close allies after a few misconceptions about each other.