six

chapter six

we were built to fall apart (then fall back together)

━━━━━━

The next few days are unbearable.

Kazuya refuses to talk to any of you. He either holes away in his room or spends the rest of the day out, doing who knows what. Batting practice maybe. You wouldn't be surprised.

The others expect more from you in terms of getting him to cooperate but that's not going to happen this time. Not when you are one of the reasons he is struggling so much.

You keep up with your patrols. If Delphi notices your being subdued, they don't say anything. Probably chalking it up to the death of that businessman - Hozumi Fusao, you learn his name is. Husband. Father to a teenage girl and nine-month-old twin girls.

Speaking of, the friend, Icho Daiju, is arrested. His wife is brought in, too, but then it's revealed she did try to file police reports concerning his behavior but they dismissed her. Hence why she went to you.

The police have footage of the night it happened, which settles everything. The others, including Kazuya, have to give statements but their names are kept private. This is not something they should be involved with. Even the police know that.

But as the days pass, while he slowly opens back up to the others, he remains reticent with you.

Of course, just like he is either staying in his room or leaving the house entirely, you have made yourself scarce. To respect his wishes.

It's not easy, you find. The two of you share a bathroom. Initially, you and Kuramochi shared and Eijun and Wakana shared. But you two clashed on some things, like wiping down the counters if they get wet - he claimed it would dry eventually but you hated going in after him and having to deal with it. Kazuya had ended up with his own private bathroom. At your request, he gave it up, since you two knew how the other liked to keep things. The other option was giving you the private bathroom but Kazuya didn't want to share with Kuramochi. Said if you don't like it, then neither will I.

Many nights you two brush your face and wash your faces next to each other. But now you wait, keeping vigilant on when he goes in. Making sure he doesn't see you waiting.

The others start to worry. You start to contemplate going back to your home. But then that would raise too many questions. You know Kazuya had to field calls from your parents and his dad. They'd want to know why you aren't with him.

And you can't say anything. Can't tell them it's because you betrayed his trust. Because you crossed a line as Spider-Woman that you shouldn't have even touched.

You're still thinking about how he said nothing about your near-miss on your last night together. You don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. You're starting to think, as he avoids you and you avoid him, it's a good thing. One less emotional burden to address.

No, it's not a good idea.

You know that.

But what else can you do? You're praying desperately that he won't stop being friends with you. What are the chances of that if he finds out you're in love with him?

You don't know.

You're thinking about that as you return to the house at ten, after spending the day at the library. The house is quiet. You say goodnight Eijun and Wakana, in the former's room watching a movie, then head upstairs. You'll need to head out soon for patrol.