nine

chapter nine

it's the shame, it's the pride of you and me, ever changing

━━━━━━

"Why is Batman so mean?"

The question comes from Eijun, on his back on your bed, reading a Batman comic; he is situated halfway down, so Kazuya, situated further up, can mess with a few locks of dark hair, since his head is by his hip.

You hear Kazuya biting into a grape, a small Tupperware of the freshly-washed fruits sitting on his chest. Then the sound of him complaining about Eijun taking some. But you know he relents because you can hear Eijun noisily biting into one.

"Batman has lots of interpersonal issues," you say distractedly, riffling through your closet.

"Oh, so like Miyuki-senpai - ow!"

You don't need to turn around to guess Kazuya pulled on some of the locks of hair he was touching.

"I'm not as bad as Batman," Kazuya huffs.

"That's true," you say, then turn around with two tops in your hands. "Which one?"

Kazuya looks away from his phone and Eijun looks away from the comic. You and Kazuya are due for a movie date tonight but currently, you're in just jean shorts and a bra, having a hard time deciding on a top.

"That one," Kazuya says, pointing to the top in your left hand. "Your chest looks better in it."

"That is true," you murmur, looking at it thoughtfully.

Eijun nods, then winces when Kazuya yanks on his hair again.

"Don't agree, idiot."

"I'll never deny senpai's beauty! Never!"

You grin and turn around, hanging up the other one, then pulling on the chosen top.

Eijun steals more grapes, setting the comic aside and settling for attempting to toss the grapes into his mouth.

"You'll choke, you idiot," Kazuya huffs. "At least sit up."

"I'm fine!" He tosses one up and it lands in his mouth harmlessly. "See?"

"Whatever. If you choke, I'm not helping you."

You wiggle your fingers at him and Kazuya lifts the Tupperware so you can grab a couple.

You toss one into your mouth, then take a seat at your desk to do your makeup. "Have you two noticed Wakana acting a little strange recently?"

"Strange how?" Kazuya asks distractedly, looking at something on his phone.

Eijun makes an accompanying questioning sound.

You lean back in your desk chair, spinning it to sit sideways to them and your desk.

"She seems like she's avoiding me."

Kazuya coughs. "Avoiding is kind of a strong word, don't you think?"

Eijun tosses one last grape into his mouth, then proceeds to choke it, gasping and sitting up. You go over to him and land a hearty smack on his back. The grape shoots out of his mouth, bounces off the edge of your desk, then lands on the floor.

"Senpai," he gasps, clutching your arm. "You just saved my life!"

"All in a day's work, Ei-chan," you say, patting his head. "Do you know anything about why Wakana is avoiding me?"