Chapter 4

8 years later

A year after we came to California I started to go to medical school. It was the only thing that would help sometimes to distract me from the constant pain in my chest.

I got to graduate earlier and now I'm working at the Blue Angels hospital in LA. It's a hospital for the people that can't afford the medical bills in a regular hospital. We don't make a fortune working there, but I rather help the community then have my pockets full with money.
I love my patients and the community, we work with homeless people, undocumented and legal immigrants, doesn't matter who it is we treat everyone the same.

Today I work a night shift so I have the day off to run errands. We still live with aunt Lucia, she insisted we stay since the house is very big and she would be alone. She has been providing us with Alelak potion since we have encountered many wolves over the years. We always keep it on us.

I haven't heard much from my old pack or her...I can't bear to ask.
I sometimes hear my mom, aunt Rosa and Lucia talk and I hear they mention the 'queen' and there is when I usually turn off my hearing.

My heart still hurts the same as the first day I came here. But I must get going. I spent a year in my bed crying. Now I have a mission: Help my patients and this community.

"Buenos Dias Mau-Mau" I see aunt Rosa come in my room. "Buenos Dias tia" she hugs me "since you work tonight, wanna drive down to the beach? We can be back by 6 and you will have more than enough time to get ready for work?" She asks giving me puppy eyes. I laugh and nod my head "Yeah I'm in, sounds like fun. When are we leaving?" she jumps and makes a victory dance and I laugh harder "pack your things, I might have or might have not already packed my things and a  lunch box" she smiles and runs out of my room. I shake my head 'always so sneaky' I start packing my stuff and put on a bikini under my shorts and t-shirt and my sandals.
My hair I put it in a high ponytail and my sunglasses. We bring everything to the car and it's just aunt Rosa and me since aunt Lucia and mom have some other commitments.

The drive to the beach took us a bit over an hour but it was so beautiful. We pick a side that is almost empty and set up our picnic. We play games, eat , drink and swim it was such a beautiful day. We were so deep in our fun time that we didn't pay attention to our surroundings.
I felt like we were being watch and apparently aunt Rosa felt it too because she looked at me and we started packing our stuff ready to leave. "mierda" aunt Rosa curses looking for something in her bag "Whats wrong tia?" I ask "The Alelak potion, I cant find it" she keeps looking frantically "It's fine tia, I have some in my bag, here" I grab some and pass it to her she grabs it and immediately sprays us both "Pack your things, we gotta go now" she says with a stern voice that made me understand it's serious.

We quickly pack everything and go back to the car and speed away looking back the whole time and taking unnecessary turns just to be safe no one was following us.

When we got home we ran inside and still scared. "What happened to you two?" Lucia asks drying off her hands with a kitchen towel "They are here" said aunt Rosa looking scared "Who" I asked her. Right then my phone rang i take it out to see its from the hospital "Excuse me please" I excuse myself and leave aunt rosa and Lucia alone.

"Dr. Watson here" I answer the phone "Hello Dr.Watson, it's Angie. I'm sorry for calling you but we are wondering if you could come in earlier since there are not enough doctors to cover the afternoon shift" Angie says in a desperate way.
I know my patients need me and I could use the distraction. "Yeah sure, I can come in around 6 pm." I tell her she lets out a big sigh. "Thank you so much Dr. Watson, see you later" I hang up and go back to my aunts that are nowhere to be found.
I guess I will have to ask her later about what happened earlier. I look at my watch and its 4:45 pm so I have time to take a nice shower and relax a bit before heading out.