Chapter Five

Guilt twisted through Via as she watched Patria take in her carefully-crafted crime scene. She smothered the emotion ruthlessly.

The murder is real, she reminded herself for the fifth time. This is just a little lie to help Ma see the truth.

Face greenish gray, her mater stood in the corner of the attic, trembling as she stared down at the camping grill and crystal tube. When she spoke, the knuckles of her clenching hands blanched whiter and whiter. "What do you need?" she asked through gritted teeth. "Whatever you need, you'll have."

Via drew a steading breath. This was why she'd planted the evidence. Finally, her mater would let her pursue justice without hiding her actions. She had no reason to feel guilty about lighting a fire under her ma's feet. None.

So why did she feel guilty?

She shoved the feeling down. "I need your authorization to investigate this thoroughly," she said firmly. "I can do that best with a warrant to search every facility, file, and person in the colony."

Her mater didn't blink. "Granted. Anything else?" Patria stooped to pick up the crystal pipe and then rose, clutching it in both hands. Her bronze forearm tensed as she studied it. Even Navigator-augmented strength couldn't snap the nanite-forged material, but for a moment Via thought her mater might try. When Patria's gaze rose to meet hers, she nearly flinched from the heat there. "Whatever you need, Via. Whatever you need."

She drew a deep breath. Anything I need? Let's see. "Give me your approval to interrogate using compulsion magic."

She expected refusal--her mater rarely authorized Navigator compulsions outside of emergencies--but Patria nodded again without hesitation. "You may compel those below your rank. For those who are higher rank than you, present me with probable cause, and I will grant you executive authority."

Well, since today is the day for getting what I need for this investigation... "I had hoped for blanket authorization," she said. I need to question the Chief Terraformers. But I don't want to tell you why yet. Not until I know I can trust you.

"I wish I could give it," Patria said. She shook her head, a muscle twitching in her cheek as her jaw clenched, then sighed. "But letting you search and question my junior Chiefs and their successors is already going to be messy without the indignity of compulsion to ruffle more feathers. But feel free to investigate thoroughly otherwise." Her eyes narrowed. "If you bring me probable cause to believe that someone was involved, I'll give you the authorization necessary to drag the truth from them."

It wasn't everything she'd hoped for, but it was more than she'd expected to get. "Alright, thank you."

Patria gazed at the pipe draped over her palms. She swallowed hard. "Do you have any suspects?"

"Not yet," Via lied. She offered up a prayer to the Eternal Radiance that she could remove her mater from the list soon. This anger and grief didn't seem feigned. She can't be involved. She just can't. I won't be able to take it if she is. "I'll let you know when I do."

"Good." Patria extended the pipe to her. "Bring me this killer, Via, and I'll bring them to justice."

She accepted it back into her hands, shoving down a pang of regret. The lie had been necessary. It would help unveil a bigger truth and bring two victims the justice that they deserved. She had no reason to feel bad. "Yes, Ma."

***

Via's first visit was to a very confused Mitis. As the Lifesupporter priest stepped aside to welcome her into his candlelit quarters, his salt-and-pepper brows drew down over his eyes. He scratched the stubble on his chin, kindling a tealight for Via on the tall bronze prayer-tree beside his door with a hum of nanites. "A propane tank, you say?"