Chapter Nine

The office door slid open, and as Patria stepped inside, Via caught a brief glimpse of Clari waiting in the corridor before the crystal closed behind her mater.

Patria, eyes bloodshot, glanced at the corner where Via sat. She wrung her hands even as the nanites she summoned flowed in a shimmering haze from the walls. "I'll let your friend inside in a moment, Via. But first, I need to know what she knows about all of this. Answer honestly and without reservation."

Via grimaced as the microscopic machines sank into her, tugging irresistibly at her will. Her mouth began moving the instant she fully grasped the question. "She only knows that the security footage for Ivan's room is missing. I asked her to access the records for me but didn't think it was safe to tell her more."

Her mater nodded, the relief stark on her face.

Because this means she won't have to offer the same choice to Clari? Via bit her lip and shuddered. Or would she even bother letting someone who isn't family choose?

"Good girl," Patria said. "I'll let her come in, then." Her will pressed against Via's own. "When she does, you will say nothing about your grandmater's theories. You will not speak ill of the Trellis or make any accusations. And if Clari asks why you've been sentenced to silence in death or silence in life, you'll only tell her that you're not allowed to speak about the matter. She's the future Chief Communicator. She'll understand that some things must be kept classified for the good of the world."

Via couldn't keep her lip from curling as disgust twisted through her. "Yes, Chief Navigator."

"Via..." Her mater trailed off as Via turned her head to the side, unable to look at the woman for even a second longer. Patria sighed, and then her footsteps padded away and the door hissed quietly open. "Thanks again for coming, Clari. Hopefully you can get her to see reason."

"I'll try." The Communicator stepped into the room, eying Patria's back with contempt as the woman left. Then, when the door closed and they were alone, she glanced down at Via with a worried smile. "Hey, you."

Via tried to curl her lips in return, and then the expression faded. "Hey."

Clari cleared her voice and glanced casually around the office. "So, your mater wants me to convince you not to--" Nanites hummed, and she heaved a sigh. "Oh good, the security system is offline."

"Of course," Via said grimly. "My mater wants no record of... of..." The words lodged in her chest, almost painful. She coughed, but the barrier was purely mental and she couldn't force the words out. "I can't say it."

Clari nodded, eyes sympathetic. "I know, but don't worry. I remember everything."

Via frowned at the non-sequitur. "Remember?"

The strawberry blond glanced at the door and lowered her voice. "It'll all come back to you in two weeks, right before the Trellis goes up."

Via grimaced at the word, opening her mouth to curse the horrible thing, but even that was taken from her. You will not speak ill of the Trellis, her mater's words echoed in her memory.

Screw the Trellis! she howled inside. And screw you, Ma!

Clari hurried forward to crouch before her. "Don't strain against the compulsion. It's okay, I know what you're trying to say."

It was only then that she realized her jaw was working but no sound was coming out. "How?" she asked, relieved she could say that much at least.

Clari quirked a wry smile. "You told me everything." She held her hands up as Via frowned. "I know, you don't remember. Just trust me. This morning you asked me to make us both forget everything I know about the investigation and your grand ma's research." She scrunched her nose. "You wanted to protect me. But this situation you're in now is precisely why I didn't want to forget. So I..." She offered a sheepish shrug. "Well..."