CHAPTER 4 - ESCAPING LOVE'S CONSEQUENCES

—=+=—KYLES POV—=+=—

Kyle sat up in bed, startled by the constant barrage of notification noises coming from Stan's phone. He rubbed his eyes, trying to make sense of what was happening. He glanced at the clock and groaned as he realized it was still early in the morning.

With a sigh, Kyle reached over and picked up Stan's phone, recalling the password easily - Wendy's birthday, '1218'. He unlocked the phone and saw that it was Wendy who had been texting Stan incessantly. Kyle's curiosity got the better of him, and he clicked on the conversation, only to see a series of unread messages from Wendy, all asking to talk to Stan urgently.

Kyle's heart raced as he read through Wendy's messages. She was clearly upset that Stan had been ignoring her, going off the grid and keeping a low profile. Kyle clenched his jaw, feeling a mix of anger and protectiveness towards Stan. He couldn't understand why Stan would ignore Wendy like this, but he knew he had to do something about it.

Without thinking, Kyle started typing a response, pretending to be Stan. He wrote, "Please don't come over, Wendy. We have nothing to talk about." He hesitated for a moment before sending the message, realizing that he was now caught up in Stan's personal drama. But he couldn't just sit idly by and let Wendy come over and confront Stan in his current state.

A few seconds later, Wendy replied, "Yes, we do." Kyle bit his lip, unsure of how to proceed. He didn't want to keep lying, but he also didn't want Wendy to come over and make things worse for Stan. Just then, the phone started ringing, and Kyle's eyes widened in panic as he saw Wendy's name on the screen.

"Shit, what do I do?" Kyle muttered to himself, feeling the pressure mounting. He quickly silenced the call and put the phone back down, his mind racing with thoughts of how to handle the situation. He knew he had to come up with a plan, and fast.

As Kyle pondered his next move, he glanced over at Stan, who was still passed out on the bed, looking peaceful despite the chaos unfolding around him. Kyle's heart softened as he looked at his best friend, knowing that he couldn't let Wendy cause him any more distress. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for what he had to do.

"I'll handle this," Kyle said determinedly to himself, grabbing his own phone and composing a message to Wendy. He explained that Stan was not in a good state to talk and asked her to give him some time to sort things out. He assured her that he would make sure Stan contacted her when he was ready.

After sending the message, Kyle let out a sigh of relief, hoping that Wendy would understand and back off for now. He knew he had bought himself some time, but he also knew that he had to talk to Stan about what was going on. He couldn't keep pretending to be Stan and handling his problems for him.

With a heavy heart, Kyle sat back on the mattress, keeping a watchful eye on Stan as he slept. He knew that when Stan woke up, they would have to have a serious conversation about all of this. Kyle braced himself for the upcoming confrontation, hoping that they could sort things out before it was too late.

As soon as Kyle drifted back to sleep, he was abruptly awakened again by the familiar ringtone coming from his own phone this time. He glanced at the screen and saw that it was Wendy calling. He hesitated for a moment, considering whether he should ignore the call or answer it. Finally, he picked up the phone and brought it to his ear.

"Hello?" Kyle answered cautiously, unsure of what Wendy might say.

"Hi, can I talk to Stan?" Wendy's tone was sharp, and Kyle could sense her frustration.