The train journey - Sirius' perspective

He was standing on the platform looking up into
his mothers eyes as she drilled into him the rules he had to abide by at Hogwarts to keep up his family's image or "toujours pur" which is what she was saying at this moment.

The boy grew bored and his eyes wandered off to look at the big red and black steam train, the train that would take him to the place he had been longing to escape to for years.

As he glanced across the platform he set his eyes on a scruffy brown haired child about his own age, the boy had huge dark circles under his eyes like he had been up all night and he was chewing on his fingernails which were already chewed up to the quick.

He must have been glancing too long because the boy looked up to meet his eyes and gave him a hard stare poking his tongue out at him pointedly. He looked away quickly and returned his attention to his Mothers voice which was now growing angry as she realised her son was no longer listening.

"Sirius" she said sharply, "if you do not listen to these instructions I'm giving you your father and I will just bring you home immediately, you know what will happen if it comes to that." He nodded in compliance as to not ruin his chance to get on that train. She was finally finished reprimanding him so Sirius walked over to where his brother was standing.

The small boy had his black hair curtained over his eyes to hide his wet stained cheeks. "Awe reg please don't cry, it will only be for a year and then you can join me" Sirius said with a warm smile. "Bu...b...but I won't be able to handle it alone and you know what she'll do to me if I cry". The panic in his brothers face made Sirius feel a wave of guilt wash over him.

"It will be okay I promise, we can write all the time" Sirius held up his owl and looked down at his brother, "you know how fast Starlight is at sending and returning mail, you'll be okay reg." His brother finally nodded and put on what Sirius could see was a forced smile but the train whistle blew and he rushed off the platform to step on to the train. He looked back at his little brother one last time and smiled.

Sirius' cheeks flushed red with embarrassment as he heard his mother shout out as the train was leaving the station "Go sit with Narcissa and Bellatrix, don't you dare sit in a carriage with any blood traitors or mudbloods." He rolled his eyes ignoring his Mothers words and walked down the train passing his cousin's carriage, instead looking for the carriage with the boy he saw earlier.

He was about to give up and sit in the next empty carriage when finally Sirius finally saw the boy he was looking for, he slid open the door and slumped down into the window seat across from him. Sirius looked the boy in his soft brown eyes and felt his heat beat in his throat. He reached his hand out to shake "I'm Sirius Black, you are?" The brown haired boy eyed the other two boys in the carriage confused but returned the hand shake and spluttered "Remus, Remus Lupin."

Sirius turned his attention to the other two boys, one had messy dark brown hair and silver circular glasses which looked too big for his face.

The other boy had dark blonde hair that was slicked to the side and muddy green eyes that looked too small for his face.

The one with glasses gave him a warm smile "Hi, I'm James Potter." The green eyed boy quietly muttered "I'm Peter Pettigrew." James raised his eyebrows and eyed Sirius wearily, "I'm surprised you sat with us, I heard what your mother was calling out as the train left" Sirius flushed and looked down at his lap, "Yeah but I don't believe in all that, I think it's just nonsense."

James smile grew and he lent back in his seat, "Which house do you want to be in?" Sirius didn't even think about it, he knew which house he was meant to be in, it's not like he had a choice anyway "Slytherin." Peters eyes grew wide and he scowled at Sirius "You're a black, I wouldn't expect anything different" he spat. James nudged him forcefully "Shut up Pete, not everybody has to want to be in Gryffindor, maybe you should be in Slytherin with that attitude."

The small boy frowned but backed down crossing his arms and slumping back in his seat frustrated. Sirius decided to continue the conversation "So, I'm guessing you three want to be in Gryffindor" James eyes grew wider "Yes, both my parents were in Gryffindor and I think it sounds like the best house, I've heard about so many adventures from my Dad."

Sirius looked in front of him at Remus and nodded to him "What about you?" The boy looked at him with panic behind his eyes and averted his eyes looking away nervously, "Well, I think my father was a Ravenclaw but my mother was a Muggle, I want to be in Gryffindor" he rambled, saying it so quickly that it was hard for Sirius to understand him.

Sirius eyed him in confusion "Was?" He questioned. Remus' hands were fiddling in his lap he was obviously uncomfortable but Sirius was too curious to back down. "Both my parents died when I was 6" he muttered quietly. "I live with my older sister, she didn't want to be magic so lives a muggle life."

Sirius was about to question further but the door slid open to reveal the trolley witch, "Anything from the cart dears?" James reached into his pocket and pulled out a pouch full of galleons, Remus' and Peter's eyes grew wide but Sirius didn't question it as he came from money himself.

James bought many different sweets for them all to share and dumped the assortment on to the empty seat. Remus reached over picking up a blue and gold box warily as if it was about to bite him "What is this?" Remus stuttered. James laughed "Ah you grew up with Muggles I forgot, it's a chocolate frog, each one has a special card in it with a witch or wizard, but be careful when you open it" he winked.

Remus looked at him bewildered and obviously confused as to why he had to be careful when opening chocolate. As the boy ripped off the lid the chocolate frog hopped out and jumped on to Peter's head, he rolled his eyes grabbing it with his hand and chucked it back at Remus.

By this point James was laughing so much that his glasses were falling off his nose and tears were rolling down his cheeks. "It's just a spell don't worry" he said while trying to regain his composure. The rest of the train journey flew by for Sirius as he got to know the boys, Peter ended up being a lot friendlier than he first thought, all James talked about was being quidditch captain and as for Remus, he was shy and looked as if he had a lot of secrets. Sirius decided it would be his mission to find out more about him.

As they arrived at the station James turned to him and squeezed his arm "Maybe you will be in Gryffindor with us, you never know." But Sirius did know, he knew that he had to be in Slytherin and he knew what his Parents would do if he wasn't. He held his arm at where a long red scar hid under his robes and flinched at the memory of him asking his Mother what she would do if he didn't get in to Slytherin.

He walked off the platform with the other three boys at his side, out of the corner of his eye he could see his cousin Bellatrix glaring at him, he knew what she was thinking.

As they arrived at the doors of Hogwarts his worries from earlier were immediately replaced with joy, looking up at the huge castle in front of him gave him the feeling of safety, a feeling that he was not used to.