Friends Again and Letting Go

She was here

She was here. She couldn't believe it. What was she doing on the field? The girl who always avoided her P.E. classes and bunked them to escape the torture of embarrassment in front of her judgmental friends was now standing among them awaiting the moment when she will make a fool out of herself.

Is it too late to run away? She shouldn't have come here.

"Harleen?" A low whispering voice attracted her attention. Turning to her right, she stood facing Randhir. A smile broke on both of their faces. She didn't notice when did he come, but she felt relieved having another friend on her side at this moment. Not that she considered him a really close friend, but the fact that the boy respected her and would definitely defend her from appearing like a fool in front of others did make her heart rest in comfort.

"Hi, Randhir?" Her sweet voice greeted him back, gaining somebody else's attention towards them who was standing not a meter away from them.

"You're gonna play?" He asked, amused.

"Well, let's say I have no choice than flexing my noob moves." She joked, chuckling lightly making the boy laugh. Daksh on the other hand, irked by their proximity approached them, to his surprise. He was never an impulsive person, this was strange even for him.

"Hi, Randhir!" He took a chance to butt in.

"Hey, bro! Wassup? I hope you got all the photos, right? I sent them last night." Randhir, oblivious to Daksh's mood started with his casual conversation hoping to indulge him. Harleen, on the other hand, thought of all the possible answers as to why this anti-social person was being all friendly all of a sudden.

Maybe, because he wants to repent? Or because of the kiss? Oh no! Her eyes widened as soon as the thought struck her mind.

Seeing her comical face, both the boys blurted in unison, "Harleen, what's wrong?"

"Uh, nothing. I'm fine. Just a thought struck my mind all of a sudden." She stuttered, nervously chuckling, hoping they didn't raise more questions.

Nodding, Daksh said, "Randhir, can you please get the camera from my car?"

Not waiting for his reply, he threw his keys at him and mouthed a thankyou abruptly confusing both Harleen and Randhir. Seeing the boy walk away, he smiled proudly to himself as if accomplished the summit of Everest. Meanwhile, conflicting thoughts of Harleen made her grow extra conscious around him. But, she has sworn to herself to hide her emotions in front of him, hasn't she? Okay, she'll not let it affect her. He might be attracted but she's not. There's nothing she should feel conscious about.

"So, see you're finally playing!" He smiled warmly at her tucking his hands in his jeans pocket. Dressed in an olive green tee and blue jeans, his hair ruffled due to the wind's effect, he looked at her smiling.

"Not yet." She snapped, looking past him at the empty field. Much to their comfort, the weather seemed to cool down a bit too with a soft soothing breeze and a dark sky. However, no signs of rain still made Harleen sulk. She just wanted to escape.