• 4 • The Plan?

With a flashlight in his hand, Kim Rok Soo walked side by side with Lee Soo Hyuk down the abandoned subway tunnel. Ahead of him were the two other members of Team 1, sword and gun ready and alert for any potential enemies.

As the gravel shifted underneath his feet, the file that detailed their mission appeared in his mind.

< Subway Cleanup #X >
< Description: Kill all the monsters occupying the subway tunnels in section C-X. >
< Monster Type: Ground Rats. >
< Monster Grade: Ranges from 7 to 10. >
< Weakness: Eyes are sensitive to light and will be momentarily dazed when exposed. >

There wasn't much information written as the mission was a fairly simple one that repeatedly appeared at the company.

As humanity slowly reclaimed their territory from the monsters, the need for easy transportation became the main issue. So, whenever a portion of destroyed land was placed on the list to restore, clearing out the subway tunnels was the first thing to do.

The monsters that primarily occupied the tunnels were ground rats. They were not a big threat as their grade typically hovered around the lower end and their pelts were easy to slice through (he could even deal with one of them on his own).

However, the main issue was their natural instinct to travel together. Ability users would encounter three to four ground rats at a time, and at worst, face a horde that endlessly attacked.

Regardless of this problem, the overall risk level wasn't high and they were generally handled by the new employees for their first mission with the team. It even became a tradition for the newbie to bring back a simple dagger crafted with the bones of the rat they killed (his was buried somewhere in his backpack).

That's why Lee Soo Hyuk changed their previous mission to Subway Cleanup.

"Our main goal today is to test out Rok Soo's new ability on the monsters."

"If the rats begin acting strange, retreat and don't attack."

"Remember, the most important thing is safety."

With an unexpected variable added to the team, it was best to play it safe.

For the next thirty minutes, they continued to walk along the railroads with only the sounds of their footsteps echoing along the cement walls.

Suddenly-

Squeak!

The four ability users jointly froze as they pointed their flashlights towards the noise. Something the size of a fully-grown wolf appeared before their eyes. Considering its height and length...

Kim Rok Soo mumbled under his breath as information flooded his mind.

"Grade 8 ground rat."

Three others with slightly smaller bodies followed behind.

"Two grade 9s and one grade 10."

Rust-colored eyes were focused as he watched the ground rats dart towards his two teammates.

They did not even spare him a glance.

'Seems like they're not affected by my ability.'

Ground rats had a high sense of smell, so they would have been able to detect 'Nature's Aroma' before they entered their line of vision.

"Jung Soo, Jin Tae, kill them, but don't be too loud."

Lee Soo Hyuk's unique voice that sounded tired yet relaxed ordered them to deal with the monsters once he confirmed that their experiment was over.

As if he was walking in a park, Choi Jung Soo calmly lifted his sword as two rats tried to bite his body. His sword created a long horizontal line. From left to right, he slashed the monster's body in half with ease.

He didn't even need to use his 'White Yong.'

Knowing that Choi Jung Soo had it handled, Kim Rok Soo's eyes shifted to Park Jin Tae, or more specifically, his left hand.

Since he learned how to professionally shoot with his right hand, it was hard for the gunsman to switch to his left side after he lost his arm during the 24-hour monster wave. But after months of practice, he slowly began to adapt. After all, it was his only way to be useful and survive.

Park Jin Tae pulled the trigger twice.

Bang! Bang!

A small bullet shot out through the barrel and cleanly pierced through the monster's head.

Looking at the four scattered corpses, Kim Rok Soo found himself slightly disappointed.

If only his ability affected monsters (perhaps they were too weak?). He could have attracted the rats into one area rather than having the team wander around for hours.

The faster he finished the mission, the sooner he'd be able to leave and rest at home.

Pat. Pat.

Confused, he turned his gaze to his team leader, who had an exasperated smile on his face.

"What's wrong?"

Pat. Pat.

"Stop, Rok Soo."

"Stop what?"

"Haaaaaaaaaaaaa."

His confusion only grew as Lee Soo Hyuk shook his head.

***
author's note: what is this, orv?