009: the time three floridians walked in on a funeral

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

CHAPTER NINE OF ??

❝ the time three floridians walked in on a funeral ❞

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

THIRD-PERSON POV. THE JANUARY OF 2005, AMBROSE, LOUISIANA.

THE WALK TO AMBROSE FROM THE WASHED-OUT ROAD WAS A FEW MINUTES. Give or take. (Name) scornfully looked at Carly as she talked about Lester in a rude manner. Hannibal Lecter once said "eat the rude", and she didn't blame him for that. She hated rude people. With a burning passion. Years of childhood bullying would do that to you.

The sounds of Lester's truck leaving in the distance were present as they approach Ambrose. The town of Ambrose looked dated, giving a frozen-in-time sort of vibe. (Name) eyed the sign, which read: AMBROSE POPULATION 352. Talk about a small town. It was surrounded by woodland and just seemed perfect. Too perfect. 

There was something odd and sinister about this place. Cars were parked outside buildings on the sidewalk. There was chatter coming from inside buildings and (Name) hear the old-fashioned ringing of a rotary phone. Carly and Wade walked a few paces ahead, laughing and joking. "Miss Ambrose," Wade said, reading a poster for a Beauty Pageant, "I wonder how many teeth you have to win that one,".

Wade and Carly held hands as (Name) took in the small town. She eyed a sign at the gas station. It was $1.19 for gas. Her eyes widened. With the gas prices, she was convinced to basically live there. Her eyes looked over towards a pet store and gasped. "A pet store!" (Name) gasped happily, turning and racing over to the pet store, grinning like a child on Christmas, while Wade and Carly followed.

There were a bunch of sleeping brown and white puppies on the windowsill, a few wagging their tails in their sleep. (Name) cooed and smiled at the puppies, as Carly did the same whilst Wade deadpanned. "Cute, adorable," Wade commented, dragging (Name) and Carly away from the window, "Maybe next time. (Name) you can't even keep a houseplant alive,", to which (Name) glared at him. 

The three of them walked towards the gas station, trying to find the man "Bo" who Lester mentioned, the apparent owner of the gas station. (Name) and Wade looked through the windows, whilst Carly got a phone call from Paige. "Hello?" (Name) called, opening the door to the gas station, the bell overhead tinkling, as she looked around. 

Wade looked through the glass windows to the door of the garage part of the gas station, before (Name) exited the gas station as she huffed, squinting her eyes at the bright, midday sun blazing in the sky. The Louisiana heat was milder in January. "You see anyone?" Wade asked.

"Nope," (Name) mused, adjusting her hoodie and denim jacket. Carly talked on the phone with Paige, who informed her that she and the others were going back due to traffic. (Name) looked around, "Dude, I'm so pissed that I lost my iPod. I just downloaded, like, thirty new songs onto it,".

 As the trio walked up to find a sign of life, (Name) spotted a curtain being drawn back in one of the houses, spying an old woman in the house, before the curtain was shut. (Name)'s head turned to the movie theatre, which was playing Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (a horror movie from the 1960s). Carly gave Paige the instructions on how to reach Ambrose over the phone, before hanging up.