Sprained Ankle

The security lock at the entrance clicked open, and Evelynn stepped inside after getting off work early. It was rare for her to be off while it was still daylight. She brought her stuff in and walked toward the kitchen, sighing as she took off her heels. She didn't pay much attention to who came down the stairs.

After unloading her stuff, she felt something bugging her. She lifted one of her ankles and rubbed the sore area slightly, but the pain didn't do much. She sighed, annoyed, and checked her phone to see her plans for tomorrow.

Akali, who was the one that came downstairs, got thirsty and went to the kitchen to get some water. She saw Evelynn in the kitchen and asked, "Back home early?"

"Got everything done," Evelynn replied.

As Akali drank the refreshing water, her eyes darted down and saw Evelynn's feet, free from their heels. She noticed discoloration on Evelynn's ankle but wasn't sure if it was a strain or a sprain. She asked, "By any chance, did you fall or trip earlier today?"

"Just at the stairs while at work; why?" Evelynn replied.

"Because your ankle shows a pretty lousy discoloration," Akali answered.

"It's just a bruise. A bruise indicates discoloration," Evelynn said.

"I don't think it's a bruise at all," Akali answered. "A bruise on an ankle shows the injuries of a muscle being hit. From what I can see, your ankle shows discoloration and swelling." Akali wasn't sure if she would believe that. She asked Evelynn if she could walk, and Evelynn nodded. But the pain slowly rose every time she used her foot, and she lifted her foot to inspect it. "I think you might be right, Akali. I think I did sprain it."

Akali didn't say a word after that and just nodded. She went to the freezer and grabbed an ice pack. She came to the other side. "You need to rest until it's better." Evelynn nodded. "Could you do me a favor and help me to my room?"

"Of course," Akali answered. She was happy to help her girlfriend. Evelynn mostly leaned on Akali as they slowly went up the stairs. Akali grabbed some bandages and tightened the ankle around them. Evelynn silently fought the slight discomfort in her ankle and allowed Akali to finish the job. While waiting for Akali, Evelynn was surprised that Akali knew about ankle injuries. She knew Akali wasn't into medical stuff, but somehow, she knew.

"Alright," Akali said. "You are good to go."

Evelynn looked down. She saw a white bandage around her ankle. "Call off work for a few weeks," Akali said. Evelynn smiled. "You know I can't do that, right?"

"When you're uninjured, yes. But for a sprained ankle, no. Walking a lot causes the injury to worsen, and the pain will increase. The more you allow pain, the more recovery time you'll get."

"But Akali--"

"No buts, Eve. Health is first in any way. You can't just ignore it and deteriorate over time. You need to be at your top and not slip. Some people ignore their injuries but later regret it because something important came up, and they not only thought they could get through it but extended their recovery time." Evelynn pretended to understand, but really, she didn't. She didn't care if she got hurt because she could still go to work. But Akali would fight over her about it, so she decided to stay.

As they snuggled into bed, Evelynn couldn't stop thinking of Akali's impressive knowledge and thanked her for taking care of her. Akali advised her to be careful next time and prioritize her health. Evelynn promised to do so.