Chapter 26 - New Ideas and Big Decisions

It's been a few days since Asher's whole hospital scare.

It's been a really intense couple of days because it's also getting super close to me having to decide on where to go to finish out high school. Am I going to Asher's school or Krembly Prep?

My parents keep mentioning it to me only like every chance they get...

But my mind is just somewhere else right now.

Asher told me his family met with a lawyer because of disability laws but the neurologist needs to prove Ash's diagnosis but she doesn't want to be involved in a public legal case.

It's such a mess.

What's crazy is the lawyers want Ash untouchable now and he is barely leaving the house while the scandal is going. So I even am getting messages on social media and emails trying to get in on the case.

The only one I bothered answering was from the verified Tourettes Association account on instagram. They suggested Asher speak publicly on a TV segment they are setting up and that they can pull in a few other teen ambassadors so it wouldn't just be Ash.

So that's why I am calling Asher...

"Hey girl!" Asher exclaims.

"Hey.." I smile as I lay down onto my bed.

"So listen I got kind of an interesting DM on instagram today."

I hear Ash chuckle.

"Oh yeah? I know you're amazing and all but you don't need to rub in if you've got other guys sliding into your DMs. You're making me insecure." Ash laughs.

I smile.

"No! Not a guy...I mean it could be I don't know who runs the account. But it isn't like that."

Asher chuckles.

"Ok..so what's up?"

"They want you to talk publicly on a news segment about Tourette's. But it wouldn't be focused solely on you. There would be other people there with TS to help."

Silence.

"I don't know Aly...you know how Joe Biden is running for president in 2020? Some crazy people accuse him of having dementia because he stutters. And us much as people educate, some people just make excuses that it's not it. What if they say that stuff about me? Like oh, they have Tourette's but this boy doesn't kind of thing.."

I wrote this story years ago so I'm keeping the timeline the same. So this is prior to the 2020 election!

I think about it.

"Maybe? But I think it's a really good idea. You know, if you're comfortable with it."

I hear a few grunts through the phone.

"I'll think about it. Do you know who they're bringing on? I used to be pretty involved with Tourette's stuff so I might know them."

"I'm not sure." I admit.

"Ok..can I reach out to them and ask some queries? And then we will decide."

I laugh.

"Queries? Really?"

Asher laughs.

"Ok. Yeah of course. I'll talk to you later."

"What are you up to?" Mom asks as she enters my room with a big smile.

"Nothing really...what's up?"

Mom holds out a huge silver and gold package

"You, Lady, just got a huge scholarship package from Krembly Prep..now I know the decision is yours, but this is a huge step in your career and I'm very proud of you."

I smile shyly.

"But don't worry...I didn't tell dad yet and I will take you over to Lighten High School to check it out. Just to ensure you make a sound decision. Ok?"

I nod.

"That's good. Thank you."

I feel crappy because I should feel proud of myself and grateful for this opportunity. But all the glitz and glam of being admitted to a fancy prep school on scholarship doesn't make it the best decision for me.

"I...I don't know if I want to go." I say softly.

"I understand." Mom nods.

"Listen. Why don't we take our mind off things and get some lunch with Sienna and Zoey for a little girls day."

I smile.

"Yeah totally!"

Zoey and I have gotten closer since everything that happens and I think we are just both glad to each have like a sister now.

We all know one day we will be in laws and Ash and I will be married 😅