Chapter One

In the charged atmosphere of the moment, both Jedi were keenly aware of its significance. For the Padawan, it was a pivotal juncture, a final lesson to be learned, memorised and overcome — as it was expected. For her, there was no room for failure, nor weakness; even the slightest thought of it could have pushed her through her limits and would have bruised her own self-confidence.

So, with that thought, she made the first move.

Even after sensing her intention, the Master held her ground; and composed herself, retreating to a defensive stance. With a subtle shift in posture, she readied herself to meet the Padawan's onslaught, her eyes never leaving her opponent's form.

The first exchange came in a flurry of motion, the Padawan's blade darting forward with calculated precision. Her strikes were fluid and deliberate, aimed not at overpowering her opponent but at finding the chinks in her Master's defences. Each movement was met with a swift counter, the clash of lightsabers ringing out like a chorus of steel. The Padawan's senses sharpened, attuned to every subtle shift in her Master's movements. But even despite her best efforts, the Master's defences remained steadfast, each counterstrike a testament to her unwavering skill.

The dance of blades continued, the rhythm of their clash echoing through the chamber like a heartbeat. The Padawan's mind raced her thoughts a whirlwind of anticipation and determination. She had sparred with Master Yaddle countless times before, their duels referring to their bond as teacher and student. But this was different; this was a trial by fire, a moment that would define her journey as a Jedi.

With each passing moment, the intensity of the duel grew, the chamber awash with the crackle of energy and the hum of lightsabers. The Padawan's movements were precise, each strike a calculated gambit in the game of combat. Yet, for all her skill, she could sense the subtle undercurrent of doubt gnawing at the edges of her consciousness.

So, she secured her left hand at her back, quickly calming herself, reflecting to her brother's words, his teachings, to all the time they had spent together, as once again, she pressed forward. Green and emerald met in the middle of the air, striking down, but as the blades met in a fierce exchange, neither combatant could gain the upper hand. The force of their strikes cancelled each other out, leaving them locked in a stalemate of wills and skill. Recognizing the impasse, the Padawan made the decision to retreat.

In a moment of calculated anticipation, the Padawan seized the opportunity presented by her Master's forward leap. As Master Yaddle propelled herself toward the younger Jedi with the Force, the Padawan skill-fully harnessed the energy around her and, with a swift yet controlled movement, executed a powerful push that sent her Master staggering backward, her lightsaber firmly held to her throat. Quickly, she even managed to get ahold of the emerald lightsaber, holding it in her hand, somewhat triumphant. She has won.

Master Yaddle inclined her head in a graceful bow, acknowledging the Padawan's victory and the growth that had transpired throughout their duel. In response, the Padawan reciprocated the gesture, her demeanour reflecting a blend of humility, while she deactivated the two lightsabers.

"Mmmh. An impressive duel, it was, Young Serenno," remarked Master Yoda, his sage voice carrying the weight of centuries of wisdom as he approached the two.

"Thank you, Master Yoda," Leilani bowed. It was extremely rare for her to hear a praise as such. Yet, now she was waiting for something else, not a praise, not even a gesture but rather a verdict — as all of them knew what such a display was for.

"Worthy of the title, you are, and shall you be," he added, attempting to sound more mysterious rather than straightforward. "Therefore, confer on you the level of Jedi Knight, the council does."