chapter two

One week later

"Hey!"

       "Boy get your hands off of that cake! Mama just took it out of the oven and it's still hot. Move it." Donald's sternly voice boomed throughout the spacious kitchen area, his tall lanky frame stood over the threshold as he secretly watched his youngest brother, the crybaby, Dalvin trying to stick his fingers in the icing of the red velvet cake their mother baked. Dalvin jumped and gasped at the sound of his eldest brother's voice, he stuck his thumb in his mouth to lick the sweet icing off of it.

    "I know it's hot, I was just coolin' it off, who wants to eat a hot cake?" Dalvin stammered, trying to justify his actions with a quick excuse, he hid his hands behind his back. Donald scoffed with a wry laugh as he failed to be fooled by Dalvin's foolery. He stepped farther into the kitchen, bumping shoulders with Dalvin's growing lanky frame as he stood in front of the sweet tasty dessert.

       "Coolin' it off my ass! You ain't foolin' me or nobody else. Didn't mama tell you and four eyes not to touch the cake, she made it for Michael since she forgot to give him a gift for his birthday." Donald scolded his brother.

       "His birthday was on Wednesday and they already had him a birthday party on Saturday with a big double flavored cake. Why is she just now baking him a cake a week later? What if he doesn't like red velvet cake, what if he doesn't like cake at all?" Derek's voice startled both boys as he popped up in the kitchen, coming from God knows where, like he always did, his hand reached for a swipe of the icing, but Don quickly popped it away with his left.

"Hands. Off."

       "Who are these people anyway? We only see Michael comin' out of that house." Dalvin inquired, his arched eyebrows raised out of curiosity.

       "It's Michael's family, remember? It's his pretty mama, and his big scary daddy, lookin like he belongs in a seventies movie with Pam Grier." Derek chuckled teasingly, Mocking Mr. Bobby's Afro that he refused to let go of, he wouldn't even drop it for a Jheri curl.

"Y'all know he has a little sister right?"

       "He does!?! Is she pretty like Teena Marie, or ugly like Maureen from down the street?" Dalvin questioned his brother eagerly, Derek scrunched his nose, cringing at how desperate his little brother sounded at the moment, especially over a girl he never knew existed until now.

       "She's who she is, scooby- and I know you ain't callin' Maureen ugly when you was sweet as hell on her when you were in the third grade." Don teased his younger brother, Dalvin's bronze skin turned red as he glared at his older brother with fury.

       "So what, It was only for the first two weeks of school, and when she first talked to me her-her breath was stank, so I dropped her". Dalvin shrugged, Derek scoffed, shaking his head left to right as he watched his brother lie Pinocchio.

       "Hmph, last thing I remember, Maureen ended up breakin' your heart at the Valentine's Day dance when she showed up with Eric Jackson, the boy who always wore the teashades, and the bright clothes that didn't match, lookin' like a freakin' clown." Derek says with a loud cackle, crossing his arms over his flat chest, Don giggled, deciding to add along to the teasing.

       "Yeah, and you ran out of the gym, and boo-hoo cried like a little baby to mama and dad, talkin' bout you ripped your tight ass pants- knowin' doggone well that girl straight up played you." Don added, a deep chuckle erupted from his throat, Dalvin rolled his eyes, waving his brother's off.

"Yeah whatever, Eric ain't like her like that anyway."

       "Shut up crybaby, now go take a shower and put on some freakin' clothes, the both of y'all. 'Round here lookin' like a bunch of hobos and smellin' like a garbage can," Don commanded, he stared at their indoor attire that contained a t-shirt with Mickey Mouse on it, a pair of blue plaid pajama pants and dirty white socks. He started shooing his brothers off, but neither one of them moved a muscle in their bodies, they remained in their places in the kitchen as they stared at their eldest brother skeptically.