chapter four

The melanated bodies belonging to teens and tweens jumped into the cold pool water, splashing water all on the cement around it as they enjoyed their time during the major heatwave that hit Charlotte earlier this morning

The melanated bodies belonging to teens and tweens jumped into the cold pool water, splashing water all on the cement around it as they enjoyed their time during the major heatwave that hit Charlotte earlier this morning. It was finally Saturday, and unlike what Donald had told me, every kid in Charlotte was at the community school, they walked and sat around with snacks from the snack counter in front of the brick building near the water fountain and bathrooms.

Some even ran around the perimeter of the pool in their flip flops, driving the lifeguard nuts as they were so close they could almost fall in and possibly drown. I sat in one of the beach chairs under the pretty umbrellas that sat in the middle of the round glass tables next to each chair. My baby blue beach towel that mama let me borrow laid across my legs, I wore my peach colored striped one piece halter bathing suit, with my matching flip flops. Mama braided my hair into two cornrows so my hair wouldn't get messed up, she was going to try to touch it up when I got home.

Daddy dropped me and Mikey off to the pool to meet up with the DeGrate boys since mama had to work, Mikey was still upset at what I said so he barely said anything to me, only when mama and daddy made him speak to me, and one day when he went out and told me not to tell them, other than that I never heard a peep from him, which I deserved, I really hurt his feelings, even though he'd never admit it.

I laid back, staring into space, Derek and Dalvin sat at the edge of my chair with uno cards in their hands, bickering and yelling at eachother about who cheated and what the color cards was supposed to be dropped down. Donald and Mikey sat in the white beach chair next to me, they secretly whispered to eachother while looking down in this notebook Donald had brought with him, maybe it was his boy diary or something.

Prince's "Little Red Corvette" boomed loudly from the boombox nearby, Dalvin's squeaky voice soon snapped me out of my thoughts as he gently shook me by my leg, "Hey Monica? You wanna play with us? Derek keeps losing and it's making me bored."

The corners of my mouth turned up with a half shrug, my stomach lowly started to growl the more I smelt the nacho cheese and popcorn from the snack stand, "Nah, it's okay, I'm just gonna go get something to eat from the snack stand."

I threw the towel off of my legs before climbing out of the chair and walking away from the boys, as I passed by Mikey and Donald, his deep nasally voice stopped me, "Wait up!"

"I was just about to go up there too, we can walk together." Donald put Derek and Dalvin's floaters to the side before jumping up from his spot next to Mikey. I followed beside his tall frame that towered over mine as we made our way over to the snack stand, waiting in the long line.

"So... what's up with you and Mike? It's like y'all ain't talkin' to eachother at all." Donald's right eyebrow began to rise up as he looked down at me, I anxiously rubbed my arm as I tried to come up with an excuse.

"We got into a childish argument after church. He's giving me the silent treatment like he always do." I chuckled as we began to move forward in line. It was starting to move faster than I expected since almost everyone here came back and forth into the line.