[𝟎𝟐] 𝐔𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐞 𝐑𝐢𝐜𝐤

_____________________________________

" Keep moving, don't know what towards,
not the same as it was before,
don't know how I'm gonna take much more. „
Half my heart - grandson

|

"THIS IS SO UNFAIR

"THIS IS SO UNFAIR." Maxine moaned, sloppily washing the shirt in her hands. The water was cold, rather refreshing in the midday sun, but it didn't help ease her irritation.

"Oh, you have nothing to complain about." Lori scolded, pointing a finger in her direction. "This is your own fault. Next time, maybe you'll start listening to us."

"I say she ought to start doing this anyway." Andrea chimed in. She hated doing laundry about as much as Maxine did.

"No!" Maxine shouted. She would never! The girl would rather gut squirrels with Daryl than do laundry again, and Maxine hated killing.

The refusal made the group of women break out in laughter. "We'll see." Lori smiled gleefully.

Maxine shuddered where she sat.

"I don't think she'll ever stop getting herself into trouble." Carol observed, her eyes squinted in the young girl's direction. "She can never sit still."

"Agreed." Jacqui grinned.

"I can!" Maxine interjected, "I just don't want to."

After a set of chuckles left the group, they returned to blessed silence. It was a calm day, beautiful even. One might just forget that the Geeks were wandering about out there.

Most of the men had left earlier that day, headed for Atlanta. With supplies running low, a group had been sent out to scavenge for more. Usually, Glenn was the one stuck to the role, but it was no longer enough.

"I'm done!" Maxine smiled, taking her batch of clean clothes in a bucket. The women eyed her warily, not sure if they believed her.

Before any of them could speak up or - god forbid - criticize her cleaning, Maxine ran off. "See y'all later!"

"You better be here tomorrow too, Maxi!" Lori shouted after the girl.

Maxine was watching Carl get his hair trimmed. It was about time, she thought, gazing at all the hair that swirled down to the ground.

"If you think this is bad, wait till you start shaving," Shane added after Carl wouldn't stop complaining. "That stings. That day comes, you'll be wishing for one of your mama's haircuts."