Chapter 1- His First Sample

It was a relatively peaceful Sunday morning when a small moving truck pulled into Baker Street. A black cab followed suit before both vehicles came to a full stop in front of their final destination. Inside the cab, a woman in her late twenties smiled in appreciation as she peered outside the tinted window at the quaint little building in which she would soon call home. She quickly paid the cab man, his eyes trailing over her chest as she leaned forward to give him the fair. Self-consciously, she adjusted the collar of her dark cream coat, clearing her throat uneasily before shuffling out of the cramped vehicle as fast as possible. Don't get upset. Today was going to be lovely—another rude prick was not going to ruin that for her.

The young woman eagerly approached the fading black door, inhaling deeply as the bold letters came into view...221B. A shiver coursed through her spine as the pale skin of her neck prickled. It felt as if something exciting and, perhaps, dangerous was waiting behind that door. Don't be silly.

Feeling slightly nervous, she attempted to tame her disheveled blonde locks before pulling on the small latch. After a brief pause, the door opened to reveal the form of an elderly woman with an open countenance and warm brown eyes. The older woman's face lit up in recognition and she clasped her hands together as she smiled brightly.

"Hello, you must be Ruth Hale! Oh dear, do come in. I'll make you some tea. It's a bit nippy out today. You'll catch a chill standing out there," The elderly woman fussed kindly, ushering her inside without further introduction. She smiled.

"You must be Mrs. Hudson. It's very nice to meet you. I hope I don't disappoint," The blonde woman smiled softly as the older woman led her to a cozy sitting area. She and Mrs. Hudson had been in contact through post since she had found the classified ad for a newly renovated space in the basement—221C. After two months of preparation, she was finally here. Mrs. Hudson clicked her tongue as she seated Ruth on a small red armchair.

"Nonsense. You are far better than expected, dear. Look at you! Such a beautiful girl. I'm so happy to have a nice young thing like you here...Especially with..." Mrs. Hudson suddenly stopped speaking before smiling broadly and changing the topic.

"Well, you'll absolutely love it here, dear. I'm sure of it. Feel free to look around while I make some nice warm tea. Please, take that coat off and make yourself at home," The lively old woman turned and made her way into the kitchen.

Ruth furrowed her brow, slightly put off by Mrs. Hudson's sudden change in mood. What had she been about to say? She slowly shuffled out of her coat to reveal the moderately warm dark peach sweater underneath. It clung to her full figure and she silently hoped there were no "cab men" living in this building. Who were her neighbors? Standing, she moved around the small sitting area, her light brown gaze trailing over the various furnishings and the lovely little decorations. There was a warm touch to the room, and Mrs. Hudson certainly brightened the place up. It instantly felt like home.

Finding a flat in London had not been the easiest of tasks. After moving to Britain from the States a year ago, she had taken up a minor teaching position at a small primary school in Kent. Ten months later, the school shut down, and she was forced to relocate. With recommendation, she found a new school-teacher position in London. And after plenty of stressful searching and Mrs. Hudson's sympathy, here she was...standing in 221 Baker Street.

Her train of thought was broken as Mrs. Hudson entered the room once more carrying a small tray of tea and sweets. The older woman set the silver tray on the coffee table and slowly poured the steaming tea into a cup.

"Do you take milk, dear?" Mrs. Hudson's voice piped up cheerfully as she prepared the cup. Ruth bit her lip softly, nodding as she spoke up.

"Yes please. No sugar," She smiled as Mrs. Hudson stirred the milk while humming to herself in a pleased manner.